Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Thursday, July 02, 2009

"I'm Ashamed of What I Would Do For A Klondike Bar!"


The blog title was taken from a statement made by Rachel. Do your kids have any disturbing quotes, as well?

::::::::::::Book Review:::::::::


Another winner from Michael Buckley! The kids were so excited to read this book, so was I. I think the consensus is that Puck is our favorite character. He is unruly, contrary and big-hearted. This book reveals the "Master" who leads the Scarlet Hand (the baddies). The kids are I were shocked by who ended up to be the dastardly Master. The other exciting reveal that I can let you know...a positive spoiler...there is going to be another book! WOOT WOOT!

:::::::::A Few Layouts for 2008:












:::::::::::Music Downloads:::::::

Since I was working on a slideshow for the Scout Troop's Court of Honor I decided to download a song by Andy Griffith that worked for the pictures submitted to me. I grabbed "The Fishin' Hole". I love that song, the tune, the lyrics, the finger snapping...it brings me happy vibes. Looking for music is like Pringles, I can't download just one. Here is a list of my downloads:

Song: It's Not My Time - 3 Doors Down 0.94
Song: Mama, I'm Coming Home - Ozzy Osbourne 0.94
Song: I Won't Back Down - Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers 0.94
Song: Times Like These - Foo Fighters 0.94
Song: Mercy - Duffy 0.94
Song: Hollow Man - R.E.M. 0.94
Song: Slide - The Goo Goo Dolls 0.94
Song: Cath... - Death Cab for Cutie 1.24
Song: The Fishin' Hole - Andy Griffith 0.94
Song: The Climb - Miley Cyrus 0.94
Song: What I've Done - Linkin Park 1.24
Song: Detours - Sheryl Crow 0.94
Song: Pork And Beans - Weezer 0.94
Song: Burning Down The House - The Talking Heads 0.94
Song: Magnificent - U2 0.94
Song: Chicken Fried - The Zac Brown Band 0.94
Song: Iron Man - Ozzy Osbourne Featuring 1.24
Song: Everlong - Foo Fighters 1.24


::::::::::::::Fourth of July Plans:::::



My mom is planning to take the kids to see the new Ice Age movie in 3D on Friday. The plans to see Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen have been axed due to the raunchy nature of the movie. Thanks for those who forewarned us.

We are invited to a pool party and cookout with some friends from church. It should be fun to just hangout and eat. I hope everyone has a safe holiday!

::::::::Victoria's Walk and Read Program:::::

is working out okay. I have yet to walk into a tree, step on dog poo, run into people, or parked/moving cars. Minor successes are gladly accepted. Reading slows me down, but tends to add distance. I get caught up in my reading and sometimes go an extra mile. I walked a little over 7 miles on Mon,Tue,Wed, Thurs. Fri., last week. That is 7 miles on each of those days. I finished Scientific American's April 2009 issue, but it took 2 days. There were such amazing articles. One I particularly liked was how trichromasy has developed in New World and Old World Primates. There are even people out there that can see in tetrachomatic ranges (4 colors), but don't have a way to really know they can. I have a suspicion that Michael and his brothers Reuben and Marcus maybe able to see a greater range of color. I am currently reading The Golden Ocean by Patrick O'Brian, on my walk.


There are a few authors that can write dialogue and set a scene that draws you in so thoroughly that you feel like you exist within that story as some eavesdropping spirit and Patrick O'Brian is one of those writers. For me, Lucy Maud Montgomery, Jane Austen, and J.K. Rowling write that way, as well. I have a fascination for any books about ships and submarines, but have no clue why. My guess is that I would puke my guts out on both and would have sever claustrophobic episodes. But I would almost swear that I can feel the sea spray and hear the accents in real life when I read an O'Brian book. Excellent stuff, my friends!

::::::::::My Next Read::::::

I have Forever Odd by Dean Koontz in the wings to read. My sister, Katherine, has read the series and wants to me to, as well.

::::::::::High School Reunion Coming Up:::::

I have my high school reunion this month. I'm looking forward to seeing several of the gals and catching up with what they have been doing these last 20 years. I will probably go wild a buy a new outfit for this auspicious occasion. Aaron wondered if I actually owned any shoes other than my gray croc sandals, so I might need to get a pair of shoes that come in wide, yet flattering.

::::::::::In Other Good News::::

The new heating element and thermal fuse came in today and Michael has put it in. Laundry awaits my attention.

Smiles!

4 comments:

Teash said...

They say walking a mile burns just as many calories as running a mile. If you've got the time, enjoy your 7 miles. :)
Oh and if you need help shopping. I love helping spend other people's money (since we're in low supply).

Sue said...

Good luck on the new shoes and new outfit. You will simply look fabulous darlin'

Michael Taylor said...

I really like the layout with Eve and Aaron at Six Flags.

Carol said...

Hope you had a great 4th. One thing I wanted to comment on your pages, I love how you put a group of photos on the one page, to really tell the story. You are totally the best person at doing that, love looking at your pages for inspiration.