Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Friday, October 23, 2009

More Book Reviews







More on Middlemarch can be found on Wikipedia.
The author has a keen insight into human nature. The characters are well developed and I found myself particularly drawn to the characters of Susan and Caleb Garth. The relationship of mutual respect was one I enjoyed reading about. One of the strongest messages I recieved while reading the book was that each life, no matter how it is valued by others, has an impact. Our intentions do matter and how we act upon those to better ourselves and the lives of others matters. I highly recommend this book. Well worth your time, indeed

***The Hunger Games


Katness Everdeen is a clever, world weary 16 year-old who loves her sister, Prim, so much that she scarifices herself to be a tribute to the Hunger Games. The Games are a punishment for past rebellion against the Capitol. The setting is North America in the future.
The book is a page turner because the author writes the characters well enough that you understand their motivations and perspectives. I felt rather anxious about what Katness and the other tributes were having to go through for the sake of this post-modern Roman games. The book did not end as I would have liked, but was reasonable for the situation. This is the first in a series of books, but I'm not sure if I want to find out what happens in this future world.

*******My current book:

This book by Mark Dunn reads like a really, really long article from The Onion. The quirky, and fun concept of the book is that the author's manuscript has been accidentally destroyed and all that is left is the footnotes. The footnotes, so far, have been nutty. The main character is has 3 legs and these footnotes are what are left of the research on his life. There is a bit of potty humor that has to do with converting an Oak tree to an outhouse backsplash that made me erupt in laughter. I look forward to finishing this one up and letting you know what I think about it all.

**********
It's almost that time...

2 comments:

Michael Taylor said...

I've just put Hunger Games on hold. Thanks for the review.

JP2E said...

Almost what time?