Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Happy Earth Day!!!



I thought this was a good song for Earth Day and for the book Extras :





It is three years after Tally Youngblood has helped change the minds of most of Earth's population. Aya Fuse is a Japanese teenager who is trying to improve her face rank in the reputation economy that has taken hold in Japan. Westerfield gives us another strong female character who is going through the turmoil that is puberty and finding her place in society. Aya's hovercam companion, Moggle, has a K-9 from Dr. Who quality. I, along, with Aya would worry if I thought, during the story, that Moggle might have gotten hurt. The supporting characters are well written. I, especially, like the Sly Girls with their desire to do wild stuff without trying to garner any attention. I also thought Frizz Mizuno with his brain surge to make him completely honest opened up a great opportunity to discuss free will.
Westerfield also continues this dystopian book with his theme on preserving the planet. Resources are becoming scarce and I just imagine watching Annie Leonard's Story of Stuff when I read the book.
This book is good for teen to adult. The reputation economy and some of the tech advances exit at some level already. I am currently reading Troublesome Young Men about the Tory members of Parliament that helped remove PM Neville Chamberlain and replace him with Winston Churchill. I can tell you that the reputation economy has been in practice for a long time.



I love how this science experiment is going to turn out:



I hope everyone has a great day!

1 comment:

Michael Taylor said...

Miller is on the mark yet again.