Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Christmas and Reminising

This is a great blog entry from my stepdad about Christmas day, so please check it out:
Click Me!

Christmas day was rainy, but the kids enjoyed visiting with grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins. We were blessed that my mom and Jim were willing and able to take care of Noah who threw up phlegm and was running a fever. Eve waited until the post Christmas activities to spike her fever of 102 degrees combined with lethargy. Last night Michael and I split up to cuddle each sick kid. Michael took care of Noah, while I had Evey. Eve had the classic kick the covers off because I'm burning up, and then grabbing the covers because she had gotten too cold. I'm just happy she didnt' punch me in the eye like she did a couple of weeks ago when we were having to sleep like a bunch of hobos in a train car, while our room was being fixed up. Noah is still coughing intermittently, but being clad in his new Buzz Lightyear pajamas gives it an air of quasi style.

:::::::::::::::Singers I wanted to Be:::::::::::::

On the way home tonight from my mom's house the group Heart was singing the song "Straight On", which made me recall all of the female singers I wanted to sing like when I was a kid. One of these ladies was Ann Wilson of Heart. Another singer was Olivia Newton John. I had this album released in 1978. There were several afternoons spent using the handle of my jump rope as a microphone singing along with the tunes on this album. Another favorite was Tina Turner singing Proud Mary . My mom bought me a copy of Donna Summer's Album "Bad Girls". I knew all the words to "Hot Stuff" and "Bad Girls". I'm not sure I would be keen on Rachel or Eve knowing the words to these songs. Looking back I can remember simply enjoying the beat and the strong vocals. The provocative message didn't inspire any future job seeking skills on my part...luckily. I also really enjoyed Carly Simon.
In the early 80's I liked Amy Grant . I had her "Age to Age" album and "Unguarded".
I also liked the "Trio" of Linda Ronstadt, Emmylou Harris and Dolly Parton:
. I also loved Barbara Striesand's Broadway Album.
It was fun to reminise about some of my favorites.

No comments: