Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Ribbon Cake


Ribbon Cake:

Here is the cake I made for homework in my Wilton Art Class III:







::::::::::::Book Review::::::::



I found this a fascinating book. Bart Ehrman does a great job presenting the New Testament using the historical critical method. He explains with example after example that the Bible is a compilation of books written by individual authors who had different views. They didn't know at the time that their writings would be combined with others and made into a work called The Holy Bible. The books that we read that are considered the 4 Gospels are attributed to specific people, but no author was originally listed. The accounts come years after the events and the oral tellings written down. The works have been changed accidentally and own purpose over time. People who try to force the various views to create a unified doctrine actually create their own gospel as opposed to the ones actually written. Ehrman wishes that people that read the Bible would let each author's words taken for what the actually said couched in the time period it was written and in the historical and political context. Ehrman called the Bible a theological narrative, which I thought was a good description. He makes the point that many people would say you can't pick and choose what to follow from reading the scriptures, but people do just that all the time. My favorite example is the verse in 1 Timothy which insists that women remain, silent and submissive. I have always thought to my self (when not uttering out loud to anyone around). Ehrman argues this was a letter forged under Paul's name to use his clout to get church members to listen to their point of view.
The historical critical method takes the information and displays it vertically, or side by side and takes all the accounts at once. Using independent sources that verify events within the time period written about true statements can be gleaned. If you read here and there the information does not often seem to contradict, but reading it vertically you see it very clearly.
I don't come from a world view that believes in the inerrancy of the Bible, so I wasn't shocked by the information from Ehrman's book. I really enjoyed the scholarship and the candid nature of the author. I think seeing things for what they are is much more comforting to me. There were people with a message and I want to know what they had to say.
I look forward to reading some of this authors other books too.

:::::::::Gymnastics:::::::

Eve has just finished her second week in gymnastics and she is still all smiles. Yeah for Eveybug.

:::::::::::::::

Noah says greedily, "I am not immune to the delicious flavor of peanut butter cookies!"

Smiles, all!

4 comments:

Simantha said...

I was intrigued by the title of the book the moment I scrolled to it, and your review of the book "Jesus Interrupted" got me more interested in reading the book. Where do you think, I might be able to get a copy from? As I doubt very much our bookstores here in Fiji will carry a copy?
Ohh and the ribbon cake...gorgeous. I am just sticking to piping with bits and butter icing...LOL

Michael Taylor said...

Once again you have gottent to the subversive literature before I did. Where are we going anyway and why are we in this handbasket? Oh well I'll be in good company.

Sue said...

The ribbon cake looks scrumptious. You are so talented, dear daughter.

Gymnastics - Eveybug will look so darlin' in her outfit. I can't wait to see photos.

Noah is a cookie monster for sure! Last weekend we made 3 batches of cookies.

Carol said...

I absolutely love that you scrap your cakes. What a sensational book these will make. Combining two loves - cake decorating and scrapbooking.