Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Monday, August 03, 2009

Sprite Has Dimples and Coke has Pimples!

This is one of the things we learned at Dialog in the Dark. Even our guide said he didn't know that one. Michael, Aaron, Rachel and I found the experience amazing. We explored a park, a grocery store, took a boat ride, crossed the street, went to a cafe and sat down for a Q and A...all in pitch black rooms. We were provided with walking sticks. All our belongings, including eye glasses, went into a locker. I found the sounds from tapping things were the most helpful due to the different timbre of various objects. If you get the exhibit in your town give it a whirl.


::::::::::::The Grim Reaper Philosophy::::::

Michael was talking with Rachel and me about how time speeds up when you get older and closer to death. Rachel's response was immediate, and classic, "Sounds like somebody needs a Happy Meal!"



:::::::::::Digital Layouts from Scout Camp:::::::










:::::::::::::A Walk::::::::

I took a walk today and watched what happens when humidity doesn't let the sweat do anything but pool up on your arm. I looked like a white, freckly, wet tarp. Yeah, me!

I did get to listen to some great podcasts from Brian Dunning's Skeptoid site. I was really impressed by the one about Sarah Palin and others. The title is "Sarah Palin is Not Stupid". He talks about avoiding ad hominem attacks when people don't agree with your view, instead be polite and present your evidence. Otherwise, you just come off looking like a petty jerk. Really thoughtful piece.

:::::::::::::Cake Art numero Tres:::

I'm looking forward to my class tomorrow.

Later, gators!

2 comments:

Michael Taylor said...

I have lot of respect for Brian Dunning. He always. Come across very polite and respectful even when he's telling you that your ideas are not even remotely based on reality. His "stick to the issues" philosophy on debating politics is something most of us could learn from.

At one point during our tour I was almost in tears. Not because I was scared or sad. I was just overcome with empathy for those who have to live 24/7 in darkness. I thought I made it through the course pretty well but I sue hope to never have to experience that for real.

Sue said...

Rachel is right - we do need a Happy Meal as we advance to the end game.

Dialogue in the Dark sounds so wonderful. I really hope Jim and I can go. I know cake art class will be awesome as usual. You are already so very good at cake decorating. I especially loved the one you did for my birthday. It was WOW! Beautiful and delicious.