Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Friday, May 05, 2006

Doris and Bill

I had a great relationship with these two people. My maternal grandparents were wonderful. I looked forward to my grandfather coming home after working at his Shlitz Malt Liquor franchise, so we could play cards. We would play poker, black jack, and war usually. He always smelled like English Leather. He wore wingtip shoes and black trouser socks. We would make a treat out of a tall glass with two scoops of vanilla ice cream and milk poured over it. I liked the ice crystals that formed on the ice cream. My grandfather always let me drive the golf cart clearly labeled not to do so. I still have a thing for wanting to drive golf carts, I think a move to Peachtree City where they use golf carts would be cool, but definitely not for my husband. I loved to go with him to the golf course. He didn't play much he usually would just make a bet on how many yards he could hit the ball. If he won he took me to lunch.

My MamaDoris was ALWAYS immacuately dressed. Everything looked matched perfectly. The only thing that drove me crazy was her smoking. I often chastized the cigarette man for selling her cartons of Pall Malls while we were eating lunch at Mrs. Lane's on the bypass in Columbus, Ga. I used to stare at her while she ate because I wondered how long denture adhesive actually worked. (This is very impolite, so I am not recommending this behavior). I was also fascinated by the amount of hair spray she used to keep her hair in place. It was teased rather big and she loved Ms. Clairol, but I can't remember the shade of reddish brown she used. I'm sure she was pleased when I would turn my attention to a book or my cross-stitching and leave her alone already! She had the most beautiful handwriting. I always wanted to write like she did. One of the traits I admired most was that she didn't run to catch a phone call. She always said if they wanted to talk to her badly enough they could wait for her to get to the phone. I believe 14 rings was not uncommon.

I really miss these two enormously. They kept me safe, they loved me and enriched my life beyond measure!




Text:"My grandfather used to help my grandmother skip school. He would buy her ice cream and take her for a ride in his car. They met at school. He was much older than her and still attending school because he only attended school during football season, then he would quit school and work for the rest of the year. He was on Central High's first football team in Phenix City, Alabama."

"Behind the bar is my grandfather, Arthur Aaron Harris, also known as Bill, or "Goat". The Ace Chili bar was on Broad Steet next Kirven's, a locally owned department store. The former owner was Mr. Odom. who employed my grandfather as a bookkeeper and sometimes bodyguard. Mr. Odom would play cards and get drunk, so my grandfather was there to ensure no one took advantage of Mr. Odom. Next to the bar was a liqour store owned by Charlie and Ruth Murphy who were friends to my Daddy Bill."

This layout was completed using Mo Jackson's Dorothy's Kitchen elements and Primitive Scrapbook. The font: Michele/Old World Script/Mama Script

No comments: