Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Sunday, November 05, 2006

I Need a Vacation From My Vacation:

I went to Blue Ridge, Georgia with my sisters and step mother this weekend. Rachel and Eve came along, as well as, my sister Tracy's two children. We spent most of the weekend having to chaperone the kids and constantly clean up, just in case my very fastidious aunt, who owned the cabin, might show up. The cabin was lovely and the scenery was beautiful, but I could do with a relaxing trip instead of the one I ended up taking. We stopped by Mercier's Apple Orchard and we loved the freshly made apple cider. Two accomplishments this weekend were reading a book by Alice Sebold, The Lovely Bones.

and watched the most recent movie adaptation of the book Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen.
I feel something akin to the desire to gush about the movie Pride and Prejudice. I loved the cinematography, the screen play and the acting! If you have not had the opportunity to view the film by all means take the opportunity.

The The Lovely Bones was extremely well written. The psychology of all the characters involved and their interactions are fleshed out very well. The use of flashbacks throughout the book seems like how I think...disjointed, but still makes sense. The ending is bittersweet and is foreshadowed early in the book. The book reminds me of some of the thoughts I had about "Heaven" and what people think it may be like while I watched the film with Robin Williams called "What Dreams May Come". Both the book and the movie deal with themes of death in horrible ways, but under different circumstances. The character in Sebold's book goes to her "Heaven", while Robin William's wife goes to "Hell" where he goes to rescue her. The Robin William's film is really more about redemption, but I was comparing them more on the basis of how we view the after life.

:::::::::::::::FIELD DAY:::::::::::::

Here are some Field Day photos of Noah:





No comments: