Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Slow and Unsteady:

On Michael's blog he has a great idea for a "non"-trivial pursuit game. Check it out. I think he really has something.

:::::::::::::::::Slow and Steady?::::::::::::

If slow and steady wins the race, what does slow and unsteady get you? It is taking forever to get the house finished. Each week has had about 2 days of rain and it is also deer season, so my dad likes to go hunting. Michael has to work to pay off the loan and work with 1 hour of remaining light when he gets home. I'm a glorified lumber totter (I caulk, too). This keeps any substantial progress from happening. The day was gorgeous yesterday, but that was the day my dad had his appointment for his crown. The new locks I bought are a pain to put in (from the obvious grouching of Michael trying for the umpteenth time to line up the mechanisms). I don't think all of the slow downs on this project have anything to do with the numerous times I've walked under the large ladder, but it does give me something nebulous to blame.


::::::::::::Teacher Conferences::::::::::::::

I had Noah's teacher conference on Monday and today I have Rachel's. Noah's went really well. The teacher said that Noah has a lot of things to say and that, to her happiness, it is about the current topic. If she is talking about Thanksgiving he isn't off on some tangent about Halloween. She said he is a little fact machine. She said he is just like a sponge for information. The teacher was happily surprised I could make comments on the papers and projects that Noah brings home. Some he points out to me and others I ask him about because I want to congratulate him or know if he enjoyed doing the project. His Reading Recovery teacher came in to the conference and showed me the progress Noah has been making on learning to hear letter sounds and then write them down. He has gone from zero to level 5 in 9 weeks. She is really proud of him, too. I continued to talk with her after the regular conference was over (she also lives in our neighborhood and is a completely wonderful lady). She showed me more about her dealings with Noah and told me some stories.

Rachel was thrilled to come home with a 100 on her math test (her first 100 on a math test this year). She received a homework pass for her success, but with her struggles with math I would prefer she recieve another perk. I think it is important she recieve as much concept reinforcement as she can.

::::::::::::::::::::::

Guess what?


My dad just showed up! There is a severe thunderstorm likely today. I opened the door and said, "You know the weather was really nice yesterday!" He told me to be quiet and open the garage door. You just never know!

No comments: