Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Monday, January 10, 2011

I Soak Up Information Like a Sponge...


Unfortunately, that sponge happens to be something akin to Spongebob. I am continually frustrated by my inability to remember specifics about things that I read,or hear. I can vaguely recall if something is on the right track, or if something is bogus. I all too often have to tell the kids to ask their dad, who has an amazing ability to recall information. I really love to read non-fiction books and listen to history and skeptical podcasts. I was listening to one of my favorite podcasts, Wait Wait, when they were making a joke about the size of the human brain shrinking. I can't remember their take on the joke (no surprise that I can't remember), but I did remember enough about the article I read that theorized that the shrinking of the human brain relates to diminished aggression. I was shocked that I could recall that. Michael was proud of me too. Anyway, here are a couple of new book reviews and some of my favorites from 2010:



This book is the story of Calpurnia Tate and her discovery of her grandfather and his discovery of her. It is told about a well to do family in Texas in 1899. Callie Vee, as she is sometimes called, is the middle child flanked by brothers. Callie's mother often has to take some of her Lydia Pinkham's tonic after dealing with her rambunctious family. Calpurnia's grandfather and his library, and shed are quite an enigma to the family. Calpurnia begins to ask questions about some observations she has made about the differences she sees in the grasshoppers in her yard. She asks her grandfather who encourages her to figure it out for herself by observing and writing detailed notes. She uses the journal given to her by her oldest brother. As the summer progress Calpurnia becomes closer to her grandfather and becomes his partner in an experiment and a discovery in botany.
The characters throughout the book are interesting and well written. I found myself as anxious as the photographer to find out if the botanical discovery was, indeed, new. I also wondered if Calpurnia's grandfather's pecan distillery would ever produce anything decent. Most of all I was intrigued by the story of a girl who wants to use her mind and make an impact on her world through science in an age where that is uncommon and frowned upon. She does have a grandfather who supports her, but a father, mother, siblings, and house staff that have an all together different idea about the place of women. There is the spark of hope that she goes on to be able to make her discoveries in the world, but I know enough about the nature of humans to oppress each others' spirit of discovery to feel like she will end up sipping Lydia Pinkham's tonic with her own passel of kids. I harbor the idea that her grandfather leaves her a trust fund in his will that instructs it to be used only for her university education. That last idea gives me hope.
This book was thoroughly fantastic and I have it on my wishlist.



This book was one we just finished for family reading at the insistence of Noah who had already read it. Rachel also had finished the book. The story explains that there is a place called The Seems that actually controls what we perceive as reality. In The Seems there are people to help us sleep, create our dreams, and try to manufacture ways for us to meet the people we are destined to be with. Some people are born in The Seems that work for these purposes, but sometimes there are problems that try to circumvent The Plan. To help counteract problems there are people recruited from our side called Fixers who have a seventh sense. In this book their is a glitch in sleep that threatens to tear the fabric of time.
Noah was enthusiastic about this book, but the rest of the kids were rather blandly listening. I thought the authors' use of word play was funny and great for kids. The story was just fantastical enough and the age of the characters gave younger children a hero close to their own age. If you want a pretty cool fantasy, sci-fi, alternate reality book I think this would fit the bill.


*************************Books of 2010...Some Stand outs*****
My shelfari.com account shows that I read 65 books last year. No wonder people at the park think of me as the book lady. Here are some that I particularly liked:

The entire Tripods series by John Christopher a sci-fi collection of stories about human natures ability to become easily herded and the handful of people who use their brains to overcome. The constant battle to save people from themselves, too.

Extremely well written and thoroughly fascinating:
The Poisoner's Handbook
Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York
by Deborah Blum

Fascinating history and would love to understand more than just the basic math concepts:
Zero: The Biography of a Dangerous Idea
by Charles Seife (Author)

Historical fiction that hits a lot of the right notes:
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet (2009)
by Jamie Ford

Full of gorgeous illustrations and a great folktale akin to The Wizard of Oz. Also a great read aloud:
Where the Mountain Meets the Moon (2009)
by Grace Lin

An upstanding gentleman that I would love to meet:
Major Pettigrew's Last Stand (2010)
by Helen Simonson

I still cook atrociously, but this book is put together like a masterful recipe:
The School of Essential Ingredients
by Erica Bauermeister

Totally fascinating look into why malaria is so hard to erradicate:
The Fever: How Malaria Has Ruled Humankind for 500,000 Years
by Sonia Shah


History is written by the victors and sometimes by those impertinent enough to try and set the record straight:
Lies, damned lies, and history : a catalogue of historical errors and misunderstandings
by Graeme Donald

I like to call this one the time traveler's wife without all the smut. Really cool science fiction:
When You Reach Me (2009)
by Rebecca Stead


A classic doctor Seuss that I waited entirely too long to read, but so glad I got around to:
Bartholomew and the Oobleck
by Dr. Seuss

If you are looking to donate time, and or finances to charity give this book a read:
The Power of Half One Family's Decision to Stop Taking and Start Giving Back
by Kevin Salwen (Author), Hannah Salwen (Author

Fascinating history:
Troublesome Young Men (2007)
The Rebels Who Brought Churchill to Power and Helped Save England
by Lynne Olson

Fascinating history + pithyness:
The Wordy Shipmates (2008)
by Sarah Vowell

Assassination Vacation (2005)
by Sarah Vowell

The Partly Cloudy Patriot (2002)
by Sarah Vowell

Weather Whys: Facts, Myths, and Oddities
by Paul Yeager


Absolutely love this entire series. This is a definite read aloud:
The Inside Story, The Sisters Grimm Book 8
by Michael Buckley

Dystopian at it's most fashionable:
Uglies, Pretties, Specials, & Extras ( 4 separate books)
by Scott Westerfeld

******************WII Just Dance****

I just finished showering after a head to head dance competition with Eve. We did 11 songs and I one 4. I totally kicked it on Pump Up the Jam. Rachel played once, but wasn't feeling to well. She had been playing out in the snow with her friend Lydia.

Now to just chill...I suppose literally and figuatively.

1 comment:

Sue said...

I really want to see y'all do your Wii dance. It sounds like sooooo much fun. A really good workout, too.
Happy Snow Day!