Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Free Skittles!...

Nope, I'm not offering any free skittles! But, this evening when we had dinner at a lovely local Mexican restaurant Rachel tried the candy machine (I think this is genetic from my side) and found that the machine was broken. She was excited to score free Skittles. She shared with everyone at the table and was going back for more when Michael and I explained to her that these candy machines were apart of someones livelihood and she was actually stealing from this person. We suggested she tell the manager of the problem, which she did promptly. The manager came by our table 5 minutes later and told her he had fixed the machine and rewarded her with a huge handfull of free Skittles to share with the family. She absolutely beamed with pride. It isn't often that a lesson is so quickly learned and rewarded, but I was so happy she made the right decision and that the manager was so quick to reinforce that decision. So, if you see Rachel you can hit her up for some Skittles, but not the yellow ones because Evey already has dibs on those!

::::::::::::::::::::

Were about to get to bed and Noah only had to have one breathing treatment after his nap this afternoon. He still sounds like Barry White, but we can't get him to say, "Hey, Baby!" for any amount of money or treats.

::::::::::::::::::::

This may not be exciting, but Michael and I worked together with some great input from Aaron...(Eve coached on my lap) to finish Myst V, End of Ages. It is an interactive game with countless puzzles to solve. Michael is extremely logical and methodical, Aaron is observant and has some great ideas, I'm mostly illogical, but I try and I'm impulsive. I love to see what the buttons and levers do and run around to see the digital worlds. This last game isnt' the best in the series due to the lack of emphasis on allowing you to just walk around and touch things and the CGI characters are annoying, but the puzzles were pretty cool. We finished the game without Eve on my lap because she is spending the night with Granny and Grandpa Towhey, so we saved the game at a crucial point so she could see what happens. According to the game we chose correctly and saved the world on our first attempt. Aaron wants to go back and chose both of the other two incorrect possibilites. This is a bit too close to real life with many of his decisions...kinda makes me nervous. I can't imagine many people exuberantly saying, "Hey, I got life right, but just let me go back and make some wrong decisions!" Anyway, if you like difficult, yet interesting puzzles and intelligent interactive games give the Myst series a try. I recommend going in order because you get a sense of helping this particular family throughout the series and you like them.

:::::::::::::::

My house has turned into the 24 hour Raising Arizona channel. Aaron keeps putting it in and laughing his head off. One of my favorite lines is when Hi goes into steal from this gas station and ask the clerk if the balloons he carries blow up into funny shapes and all. The clerk responds, "Well no, unless round is funny."

That just cracks me up!

Have a great weekend! Off to Alabama I ride!

1 comment:

Julie P. (babyofmine) said...

DH and I tried one of the Myst games, but got so (!!!) aggravated with not being able to solve it, that we gave up. Wait, maybe that's a little too simplistic...DH joined the Air Force, I had a baby, and the game fell by the wayside. Yes, that's better. :D Of course, this was all before Google started taking over our lives, so I think we could "poll the audience" for a few hints on the game now. LOL