Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Friday, September 29, 2006

Tea Party:


Actually, it was a Sprite Party, but tradition must be maintained in this highly civilized occasion!

Noah took over and pretended to be the mother at the head of the table. He, or she, served the tea to each of the ladies at the table. Everyone participated and it was a grand event!


*Notice the pinky action!


Eve dressed up for the occasion.

:::::::::::::::::





Rachel is having a tough time at school, especially, with math. She asked if I would consider home schooling her. I told her she was always welcome to be taught at home, but wanted her to be sure that is what she really wants to do first. I wrote a letter to her teacher and will probably receive a call from her tomorrow afternoon or Monday. Rachel has had teachers who have really liked her in the past and have been on the touchy feely sweet side. Her new teacher is all business and Rachel feels she is failing because she can't seem to ingratiate herself with the teacher. I don't think it is the teacher being unkind, I think she is just a plow ahead and get things done and we don't have time to hug and be cute. I told her if she came home to learn I would give her assignments and expect her to work hard, as well. The problem from what I'm understanding from Rachel is in math the teacher will present a concept, give a quiz, then a test and if you don't do well she still moves on to the next concept. Rachel's attitude towards math is negative, so she is already starting at a negative and she is floundering. I go over her math homework with her and it disturbs me that she is counting on her fingers and not grasping simple math. She has taken standardized tests and scored above average on every subject, so I know the capacity to understand is there, but putting it into every day effect is not happening.

She said she would take in the note and give the situation some more time. I really wouldn't mind having her home. She and Aaron are competitive with each other, so it might light a fire under him to learn more. Rachel could also use Saxon Math, which belabors math concepts in its approach to teaching. This repetion might help her become proficient. I'm just not sure about her somewhat fickle notions, so setting a definite is difficult.


::::::::::::::::::

We will be Denny sitting tomorrow, as my folks are going to a wedding in Tennessee. My mom is super nervous leaving my brother. I don't think my mother has left Denny for longer than 2 days in his 43 years of life. I enjoy overhearing her read his favorite Sesame Street stories to him. She does the best voices! My favorite is "The Diamond D". It is about dumb Dora of Dumbdiddle and the Dreadful Dragon.
Click Herefor the version my mother has, which is on sale at Amazon.com

::::::::::::::::::

Noah, Eve, Aaron, Michael and half of Noah's Tiger Cub den went up Stone Mountain tonight. We had a severe thunderstorm move in and the excursion was almost cancelled, but it scooted on through. Noah said he was glad because he had, "Looked forward to this trip ALL WEEK!"

Rachel and I went to Girl Scouts where she made a paper lantern and I paper-scrapped a 6 X 6 brag book for my sister-in-laws baby. I will have to finish it up tomorrow. The baby is due in 2 weeks!

2 comments:

janna said...

Cute tea party pictures and I hope all goes well Denny sitting.
(HUGS)

sausan said...

Victoria, this sprite tea party is too nice ! And I see that I'm not alone with kids having probs at school ;) This is global LOL.
Hope you are fine and overcame all those colds coming up now. Have a great time !!