Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Thursday, October 12, 2006

A.D. IV ID. OCT.MMVI and Spongebob:

Aaron and I were not having a great morning going over his math work. He refuses to believe he got any of the equations wrong because if they are wrong he has to redo the problems. After talking with Michael, Aaron sat down to go over the math work. He was still being somewhat belligerent. Before we learn the new math concept we do a section of "mental math" where he answers questions allowed without writing anything down. Aaron decided to give me all of the answers in Roman numerals. He was trying to annoy me at first, but I started laughing and then he started laughing. I appreciated the fact that he was getting the answers correct and in an ancient numbering system. When the last answer was zero he asked how you stated zero in Roman numerals. The Romans did not have the concept of zero and here is a couple of fun links to learn more about Roman numerals and their calendar:

Roman Calendar ConversionsRoman CalendarThe initial 'A.D.' stands for ante diem - days before - not AD Anno Domini.



::::::::::::::::::::::
Two days ago michael and I made shredded pork sandwiches with pork tenderloin I put in the crock pot. It turned out perfectly. I cooked the meat on high for 6 hours in about 2 cups of water. I picked up some mustard based barbeque sauce from a restaurant we really liked in Charleston, S.C.



Sticky Fingers

Charleston location

Most of the barbeque sauce we use in Georgia is tomato based, so finding the Memphis style barbeque was a fun departure from the status quo!
::::::::::::::::::::::

YEAH! COOL! MARVY! NEAT! HURRAY! DUDE, REALLY?!

He reminds me of the babe. The babe with the power. The power of voodoo. Who do? You do! Jareth, I mean, David Bowie is going to do voice a character on Spongebob. He watches the show with his 6 year-old daughter and is excited to be on the show. My kids get a kick out of spongebob and they really like "Labyrinth"!



:::::::::::::::::::::::














Yet, more exciting news on the literary front...2 cool books are coming out! Yes, 2!

Book the 13th, The End by Lemony Snicket

and


Escape from the Carnivale (A Neverland Adventure) by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson


:::::::::::::::::::::::::

One of Michael's associates at work sent this to him and I thought I would pass the laugh along:

Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson went on a camping trip. After a good meal they laid down and went to sleep.

Some hours later, Holmes awoke and nudged his faithful friend. "Watson, look up at the sky and tell me what you see."

Watson replied, "I see millions and millions of stars."

Holmes asked, "What does that tell you?"

Watson pondered the question. "Astronomically, it tells me that there are millions of galaxies and potentially billions of planets. Astrologically, I observe that Saturn is in Leo. Chronologically, I deduce that the time is approximately five past three. Theologically, I can see that God is all-powerful and that we are small and insignificant. Meteorologically, I suspect that we will have a beautiful day tomorrow. What does it tell you?"

Holmes was silent for a minute, and then spoke. "Watson, you blithering idiot! What it tells me is that some thief has stolen our tent!"

No comments: