Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Sunday, July 02, 2006

{Pay it Forward}

After Michael and I finished helping his oldest sister and her husband move into their new abode her husband made the observation that Michael and I were the first to arrive and the last to leave. They thanked us for our help, we talked for a bit, then we went to my mom's house to pick up our kids. It brought to mind the concept of the film Pay it Forward. I was thinking that whenever you do a good deed for someone they are more apt to do something good for someone in return (and not necessarily to the person who was initially kind to you). Also, I like to think of myself as someone who is reliable, and Michael, as well. If I commit to something I'm there all the way. I have a hard time with people who don't value reliability as much as I do. I also appreciate my mom and stepdad for taking care of our 4 kids so we could be helpful and focused for the move. My parents are very reliable and care deeply for my kids.
Another nice pay it forward story is about my mother-in-law who paid for the meal of two service man at Longhorn Steakhouse the other day. The waitress happily obliged to ring the two service mens' order on her bill. She frequently does this (she eats out A LOT) and it is a good deed...she's happy, they're happy and both feel appreciated.
There is a commercial that shows the concept of pay it forward and for the life of me I can't remember who is advertising, but what stands out is the series of random acts of kindness. Too cool and very inspiring!

Smiles...have a lovely Sunday!

1 comment:

Julie P. (babyofmine) said...

Please thank your mother. It wasn't my husband that she bought the meal for, but it's AWESOME that she's showing her support of the troops. My husband is military...betcha couldn't figure that out! :)
God bless you and yours.