Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Weeds or Not?

"What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have never been discovered."


Ralph Waldo Emerson



Grass Stain paper by Iron Orchid Designs, Fonts: Marignal Px, janellescript, carolynsprint, Al Sandra, oldstyle Italic...background text about the medicinal use of dandelions from botanical.com

Text: Eve was elated to find such a plentiful crop of "flowers" to share!

These pictures are from the day at Homeschool Run Club that Eve picked a beautiful bouquet of Dandelions for Coach Donna! Eve was beaming with pride for such a clever idea!

I am fortunate, in my humble opinion, to not live an a covenant community...and I'm sure they feel equally fortunate if they read what I'm about to "pen" here! I don't mind dandelions! For centuries they have offered a source of food and a rather simple, yet bitter, medicinal diuretic. In one form they offer an unending supply of wishes for anyone who picks them and purses their lips together and blows...REMEMBER...NO TELLING...YOUR WISH! (Won't work if you do! It's in the botanical book of facts...I'm sure)! I, as a child, held firm to the notion of the dandelion's magical powers as do my children. And you know what, even if the dandelions aren't magical they are still the coolest seed producing kid toy and the only seed that even comes close is the "helicopters". IT'S A FACT, I tell you! (As they say...consider the source :)
So as Kevin Neyland used to say..."That's news to me!"

2 comments:

Julie P. (babyofmine) said...

Gorgeous LO! I share your opinion of dandelions. In fact, I just realized I haven't seen ANY in my backyard (or front) here in FL. I wonder if they don't grow here? Maybe I should google that...

janna said...

I love this LO!!! What a sweet picture of her looking up!!!