Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Thursday, April 05, 2007

Headstand



This is an old shot of my husband's grandmother, Lavone Moulton and her daughter Madeleine. Lavone loved to do headstands, whether it be the beach or the front yard. She was a hoot! (I wish this was a clearer shot, but it really shows her fun spirit!)


Loopy Loop Kit by Studio Sandra Boddington coming soon to Scrapbookgraphics!
I also used Studio Sandra's Extra Stitching.




::::::::::::

We read Junie B. Jones: Dumb Bunny in 2 days. These books are hilarious to me! The books are also relatively short, so I just keep reading. The author, Barbara Park, captures children and their personalities so well. This was an enjoyable read.


::::::::::::Excerpt from The Phantom Tollbooth

pp. 174 & 175

Milo has just been asked a question by the Dodecahedron in Digitopolis and wasn't able to answer very quickly, so the Dodecahedron said:

"You'll have to do better than that," scolded the Dodecaedron, "or you'll never know how far you've gone or whether or not you've gotten there."
"I'm not very good at problems," admitted Milo.
"What a shame," sighed the Dodecahedron. "They're so very useful. Why, did you know that if a beaver two feet long with a tail a foot and a half long can build a dam twelve feet high and six feet wide in two days, all you would need to build Boulder Dam is a beaver sixty-eight feet long with a fifty-one-foot tail?"
"Where would you find a beaver that big?" grumbled the Humbug as his pencil point snapped.
"I'm sure I don't know," he replied, "but if you did, you'd certainly know what to do with him."
"That's absurd," objected Milor, whose head was spinning from all the numbers and questions.
"That may be true," he acknowledged, "but it's completely accurate, and as long as the answer is right, who cares if the question is wrong? If you want sense, you'll have to make it yourself."


::::::::::::I spoke too soon!::::::::::::

My poison ivy has spread. I have a few places of particularly unattractive places where the cell walls are swelling and collapsing. I feel like a maple tree in Vermont. This has become a particularly unenjoyable experience. The bright side is that Noah told me in the car, "I hope it doesn't kill you." I responded, "Thank you, Noah." To whit he replied..."I mean, I really hope you don't die!"
I love that kid!

:::::::::::The Tennessee Aquarium and Ruby Falls:::::::

We took the kids to the Tennessee Aquarium and Ruby Falls yesterday. The weather was gorgeous and the kids loved running around. We even saw our neighbor Shelly and her son Charles, while I was waiting to get tickets at the Auarium. Michael and I have some great photos to share, but we are going to the High Museum of Art with the kids today, so I will have to post them later. We had a blast petting stingrays and having butterflies land on us at the different exhibits!

We stopped and got handmade fudge at a little shop during the day and had lunch at T.G.I. Fridays. We also stopped at Ben and Jerry's Icecream shop. Rachel had "Half-Baked" frozen yogurt, Aaron had "Chocolate Fudge Brownie", Noah and Eve both wanted plain Chocolate icecream. I got the "Black Raspberry" frozen yogurt. YUMMY!

After we took the tour down to Ruby Falls the kids got to "pan" for gemstones in a sluice set up by the kids' play area. The kids had such fun sifting through the silt to find something beautiful and shiny. (There is a metaphor for life here, I believe).

Have a fabulously...non-itchy...day!

Smiles!

No comments: