Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Life is But A Dream...


Text says: Row, Row, Row your... nasty piece of discarded filthy styrofoam gently on the lake!



The styrofoam was so gross, but all the kids old enough to be good swimmers were on this thing. YUCK!



Font: Stickybet Alpha and DJB Michael by Darcy Baldwin at The Digichick,
additional font: Adler
Meredith Fenwick: This Way brush
Kate Hadfield: Paper Swirls, Doodle Tape and Journal Tape, Music Notes Doodle, and Doodle Alpha
Jenn Patrick: Backward Staples
Gina Miller: Canvas of Color
Michelle Coleman: Hand Stamped Alpha
Christina Renee: Punched Alpha
Weeds and Wildflowers: brown doodles


:::::::::::::::::::::Book Review::::::::::



Everyone in our family enjoyed Tuck Everlasting. Natalie Babbitt's ability to put you in the landscape of the scene is such a gift. The visuals she creates are amazing. She presents the Tuck family who are very sympathetic characters who have accidently tasted of an eternal spring and have different ways of dealing with the outcome. The Tucks lives become intertwined with a young girl, Winnie Foster, who happens upon the spring. The story moves swiftly and you willingly go with the current. Two of my favorite characters are Pa Tuck and the brown toad. Pa Tuck explains his feelings about life to Winnie in an effort to explain their family situation and why she should avoid the spring, "Not, now. Your time's not now. But dying's part of the wheel, right there next to being born. You can't pick out the pieces you like and leave the rest. Being part of the whole thing, that's the blessing."
This book was a wonderful read. I recommend this as a book that is both great to read and will spark a discussion on what death is and what it would be like to live forever.


:::::::::::::::::::Impressions of Eve:::::::

I was toweling off after a shower a couple of days ago and Eve popped through the door and asked, "What do I need to do to my hair to make me a hottie?" I, incredulously, respond, "What are you talking about?" She made some kind of arm movements like she was piling hair on top of her head and just left the room. The interesting thing is the only person in the house we call a "hottie" is Michael and Eve was definitely talking about a girl. So weird!

...

This morning across the breakfast table I was looking at Eve's eyes. She has big pupils like I do, so I told her, "I bet you will need glasses by the time you're in second grade." She looked at me and said, "But people will call me weird."

me: "Well, Aaron and Rachel wear glasses and no one says anything."

Eve: "Aaron is home schooled, so there is no one around to tell him anything."

me: "What about Rachel?"

Eve: "They just don't say it to her."

...I believe my children have formed some definite opinions on a few issues a bit to my surprise!

::::::::::::::::Product Prop of the Day::::::::

Bar mop towels from Target. Michael was showing the sister missionaries how well our new bar towels wipe away finger smears on the black granite surface. They were quite impressed. I thought he was about to turn into Billy Mays from the Oxy Clean commercials because he was so animated. For those of you who want a nice thirsty great cleaning towel for cheap here is the info.:

Room Essentials 3 pk microfiber bar mop towels (lint free, super absorbent, 16in x 19in) I think we forked over $3.99, but I'm really can't remember.
***Warning: I have already warned Michael that he isn't allowed to sing that awful song "Kokomo" when he is wiping down the counter...and that goes for anyone else so inclined to wipe down my counters. Thank you for your cooperation!


:::::::::::::::::Cave of the Dark Wind:::::::::


Aaron requested this new adventure, so I'm game!

is our new family reading book by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson.

::::::::::::::::::::Poison Ivy in Absentia? :::

I have a spot of poison Ivy right under my left knee cap. The boys went camping a couple of weeks ago and brought back more then their laundry for me! Sometimes sharing isn't a good thing...DISCUSS!

It really isn't that bad it is just a series of 3 icky bumps. I'm just trying to get a bit of sympathy. Michael told me where to find sympathy in the dictionary. It is the same place his father told him the word would be located. Such a colorful family. (He didn't really tell me this time, but he has told me on past occasions. I just banked the information for future reference).

:::::::::::::::::The Heating and Air Person::::

is supposed to drop by our abode, today. It appears that a lot of condensation is coming off of the unit in the garage and leaving a generous amount of water on the carpet in the den. Thankfully, my parents gave us their old dehumidifer a few years ago, so it is keeping the damage to a minimum. The representative who sets up appointments didn't seem to think saturated carpet was a big deal, so she offered to have someone check it sometime next week. I told her no, that really wasn't the best idea. I suppose she hears lots of these stories every day and is a bit numb. I could splash some water on her senses from the bucket in my dehumidifer or squeegy it from the carpet, but that wouldn't be the nice thing to do...so I blog.


:::::::::::::::Addendum to Goofy Stuff About Me:::::::::

I had a lovely friend remind me to list that I tried to cook bacon on a plastic curling iron as a kid. Now there was a good reason for this. I was not allowed to use the stove and I was a latch key kid, so I tried to follow the rules in my moment of hunger. Two problems with my cooking method: 1. the plastic curling iron never got hot enough and 2. you can't disguise the fact you cooked bacon on your mom's curling iron because no matter how much you scrub the brown bacon grease never really comes completely out.

***An addendum to my addendum: My mom replaced the plastic curling iron with a metal one, which I promptly used to try and give extra curls to my Miss Piggy hand puppet. Did you know that acrylic doll hair melts? I didn't. My mom was none to happy...AGAIN!

Another thing: I would try to give all my dolls fabulous hair cuts. I knew that the hair wouldn't grow back, but I always held out hope. So, does that make me an optimist or a nut case...DISCUSS!

:::::::::::::Aaron has to take an assessment and we have a science experiment to do with yeast, so later, gators!

Smiles!

5 comments:

Gina.Maria said...

Wow! You've got quite the entertaining little blog here! Your kids sound like a comedy troupe!

Donna B. Miller said...

What a fun and interesting blog. Your Eve sounds like quite a character. Thanks for the tips on the mop towels.

Carjazi - aka Diane said...

Loved the layout and Tuck Everlasting was one of my faves when I was young. Good to see a new generation reading. I'll give you sympathy, I'm getting over a huge ivy poisoning. It's not fun.
Great blog, very entertaining.

Alissa said...

OH, you crack me up!

Cute stories, my favorite being the story of how not to cook bacon. I'm looking forward to seeing that page!

Take care!
Alissa

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry this comment is going to have little or nothing to do with your actual post. I was sent here by a friend of the family (her name is Kristen) because you're doing the k12 thing. We're working on getting my little sister enrolled right now and mainly I was just looking for someone to connect with about it. Networking and all that good stuff.

My mom works for the school system so I will be the one home and working with her and was simply wondering if there was anything that I needed a heads up on before we actually got started.

Any contact would be fabulous. I have two blogs set up on blogger.com but one is specifically for school. that address is chickenschool.blogspot.com. Please drop by and get in contact with me if you have a spare moment. It woul be much appreciated.