Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Life is What Happens...

when your busy making plans!

This photo of Eve makes me happy! I hope it puts a smile on your face, too!



During our family reunion you and your cousins were crafting bead bracelets and necklaces. I asked you to show me what you were making. So you turned around and hung your unfinished bracelet across your nose and gave me this silly grin. Your face just radiated happiness!


Background paper from Summertime Fun kit for DST by Gina Cabrera
Backward Staples by Jenn Patrick
Word Topper by Emily Merritt
Tape and Stitching by Kate Hadfield
Word Bits by Kate Hadfield and Tiff Brady
DJB Ginae/ DJB MANDYK1 by Darcy Baldwin at The Digichick


::::::::::::::::::Michael Gave Me A Break::::

from my life for a bit yesterday. I had been dealing with Aaron who is a RELUCTANT student to put it nicely. He argued about every assignment. My head was throbbing by the time Michael got home. Then, it was school work with the other kids. Rachel is very self-sufficient, but Noah needs a lot of direction. He was constantly trying to put off his Monday homework. Michael said he would take over and that I should take a nap. I was too grumpy at that point so I did the martyr thing and stayed up and would go in and check on homework. When Noah was finished with his homework we were going to take the kids to a Mexican restaurant. Aaron was still refusing to finish his assignment, so I gave up in a huff and took Michael's suggestion to go to bed. I woke up this morning at 6am with a much need sleep.

::::::::::::::::::Time Matters and Don't Get Accosted in a Crowd::

More interesting learning from Philip Zimbardo's book I'm reading. Two things in particular. One: If people are pressed for time, even if they are clergy going to give a sermon on the good samaritan won't stop to help someone in need. A sad outcome of a study using clergy students.

The second and one that disturbs me a lot is the finding that you are more likely to be assaulted in front of a crowd with no one coming to your aid because each person is of the opinion that someone else will come forward to stop the attack. You are safer when there are 3 people or less because they can figure out pretty quickly that they have to act.

One more thing I remember reading recently was that if you specifically ask a person to watch your stuff and tell them it's important they are more likely to protect it than if you just say in passing, "Do you mind watching this for a second?"

Food for more thought.

Smiles!

3 comments:

marcus said...

CPR classes teach that if you are administering CPR, and there are people standing around, you pick someone out of the group, and tell them to call 911. If you don't single someone out, they are likely to assume someone else is going to do it.

Michael Taylor said...

This could be apocraphal but I've seen the principle work on a lesser scale.

Wyatt Earp used to deal with mobs by pointing to one person in the crowd and telling then that if the crowd doesn't disperse he would shoot him first. That person, having lost his group identity, was once again an individual and realized just how responsable he was for his own actions. If that person left the crowd he simply picked another "shoot first" and little by little the mob lost thier group identity and the individuals decided that maybe this wasn't such a good idea.

Carol said...

Oh Victoria, I don't blame you for smiling when you see that beautiful picture of Eve, and you've scrapped it to perfection. Love everything about it.

So what did you eat at the Mexican restaurant, we're going on Friday night for Mexican, ole! My favourite.

I really admire you with schooling the kids, and love hearing about the books you read. I just wanted to tell you that.