Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

The Only Reason She Can Find Her Head...

is that it is attached to her shoulders! Mornings with Rachel are like living in a Where's Waldo book. I try to curtail that problem with making sure everything is signed, homework is completed, clothes for the morning are laid out, but as Gilda Radner quipped, "It's Always Something!" Yesterday, it was a frantic search for her ear drops before school. (Rolled under Aaron's bed...Rachel located them 2 minutes before the bus pulled up). This morning it was her glasses. She couldn't remember where she placed them when she took them off. I found them in a tub of toys next to her bed...after 15 minutes of searching. I really am kinda stressing what I need to cover for tonight to forgo such morning dramatics!

:::::::::::::::


Eve's First Day at Preschool:


She made a new friend named Fiona. Her only bad experience was another child getting to the swing before she did, so she couldn't swing next to her new pal.

A Taylor Tradition:



Eve completes the Taylor tradition of attending Harmony Grove Preschool. The other tradition is pulling the church bell after class. A loud a fun thing to do!


:::::::::::::::::Rachel's Ear Saga::::::::

Ding! Ding! Ding! Round 3!

In this corner weighing in at 67 lbs. is Rachel Taylor and in the other corner is... Otitis Externa weighing in at nothing much, but packing quite a punch!

From what the doctor said Rachel's Inner Ear infection and Strep are all gone, but she has developed an infection in the ear canal. She winces when she has to put on or remover her glasses and if you touch her ear lobe are. She has drops for before and after school, then before bed.

:::::::::::::::::Hairspray:::::::::::

I forgot to mention that Michael and I watched the version of "Hairspray" with Ricki Lake at Tracy Turnblad. Since I had the newer version for comparison it was interesting to see the few differences in the films. I enjoyed the recent film portrayals better in the recent adaptation. I love the additional film time for Tracy's parents played by John Travolta and Christopher Walken. Queen Latifya did an on par job with the original actress. Overall excellent recasting of the film.

:::::::::::::::GVA:::::::

of Georgia Virtual Academy is going okay. There is a learning curve for both of us with the new curriculum, but it isn't bad. I need to figure out how to add German language lessons into the plan. The biggest thing to work with is Aaron reading and following directions, but this isn't new. He read an African folktale yesterday, grungingly. He just doesn't enjoy reading like Rachel does, but the funny thing is he ended up with a great attitude after the story was over. He could explain to me all of the nuisances of the story and moral lesson. He was able to take two different tests without rereading anything. I was glad that he had a positive attitude about the assignment...at the end.

::::::::::::::Making Treats::::::

Luckily, Michael came home to eat some of my oatmeal-chocolate chip cookies. He walked five miles today, so he said he could have a treat. I keep eating them, so I'm glad he is running some caloric interference! I gave some to the neighbor for kindly letting me borrow some baking powder. I made them for a lady I see from Church once a month. Last month was peanut butter cookies. Before I leave her house we determine the treat for the following month. Next month is lemon bars. December is always pre-determined as Southern Baklava month. Talk about just rub them on your thighs because they are gonna end up their anyway kinda food, but they are waaaaayyy to tasty to bypass the taste buds! I'll share photos come Christmas time...(not my thighs...I'm not that cruel!)

Smiles!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Victoria...I'm so sorry for your little Rachel and her ear infection!!! I hope she recovers soon!!

Your school layouts rock!!! they are colorful and happy, I just saved them in my favorites. ;)

Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog and layouts ;)

You rock my friend!! ;)

Hugs & kisses, Mariquita

Anonymous said...

I agree, poor girl! Do you know what happened to me when I was pregnent with Alyce. Probably not. LOL I didn't have a blog then. Anyways, they don't know what caused it they think maybe I scratched my ear and it got infected, but I woke up one morning and my outside of my ear was swollen (the whole outside part that hangs off of your head LOL). I went to the dr, gave me antibiotics. By the 3rd day, it was 3 times the size it normally should be and I was in the hospital. (Only because the antibiotics that I should have taken weren't safe during pregnancy and they had to do an IV round) 2 weeks later after 3 days in the hospital and the rest on a pic line giving myself the antibiotics my ear was better but I got bells palsey from it, fought that for 6 weeks. Ok, don't know why that made me think of it, cuz it's not the same thing, but it did. Probably the whole ear infection, made me think of my infection, and then I just had to share, boy am i wordy this morning. LOL I hope that her ear is feeling better soon!

Glad preschool went well!

Beautiful layouts! Yours always are gorgeous!