Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Saturday, September 06, 2008

Lots and Lots, Oh Stuff...



::::::::::::::::Life with Noah...Never Boring::::::::::::


Here is a conversation from Friday that was brought on because our neighbor, Kristen, was throwing a shower for a relative of hers:


Eve: "What's a baby shower?"


Me: "A party where people bring gifts to help the mom with the new baby. People bring diapers, clothes, and other items that a baby needs."


Noah: "Yeah! Baby collar, baby leash...stuff like that!"


Me: "Uhhhh...I don't think anyone brings baby collars, or leashes."


Noah: "Yes they do. Like Aunt Melissa has for Dakotta."


Me: "That is for older kids that walk. I'm pretty sure there isn't a collar. Maybe we should have gotten you one, though."


..............................Note from Noah (brought home from school on Friday)


Dear Mom,


I was making people smell my breath. On Monday I will be on silent lunch. On Monday I will not make people smell my breath.


From,


Noah


Apparently, a student in Noah's class informed him he had bad breath during lunch. So, being the scientist Noah decided to poll the entire table. He said 2 kids agreed his breath was terrible and the other 2 that it smelled just fine. It seems that his experiment was thwarted by an annoyed lunchroom monitor. I quieter, non-scientific, lunch time will be had come Monday.


:::::::::::::::::::::::Note on Rachel's Friday report:::::::::


It simply stated, "Such a delight!"


That is always nice to hear.


::::::::::::::::::::::Aaron :::::::::::::::::


He has a "D" in Science for a low quiz grade and a zero for not turning in an assignment. It seems he is working out how to deal with other kids in completing group assignments. If they say they won't give him their part of the information he just shrugs and turns it in not completed. We have discussed with him that that is not acceptable. I hope he works it out soon. He was proud of his B in math. I am curious to how this first 9 weeks of school turn out.


::::::::::::::::::::Eve::::::::::::::::


Is enjoying school much more. She does have a boy that wants to kiss her, which annoys her a lot. She says he wants to kiss everybody, though.



:::::::::::::::::::::::::::Book Review::::::::::::::



I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. Late in the book the alchemist tells Santiago, "Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself." This is something we tell Aaron with his anxiety. He puts so much effort in the worrying that he winds himself up and makes things worse. He admits, every time, that the procedure wasn't as bad as he thought it would be.
Another wonderful piece of wisdom, "...when we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better, too." So true!
Still another, "When you possess great treasures within you, and try to tell others of them, seldom are you believed."
The story retold of the Roman centurion is one that warms my heart and has this message, "No matter what he does, every person on earth plays a central role in the history of the world."
After the book is over there is a question and answer with the author, Paulo Coelho. He makes an interesting statement about responsibility and people in every religion, "The danger is that every religion, ...says, "I have the ultimate truth." Then you start to rely on the priest, the mullah, the rabbi, or whoever, to be responsible for your acts. In fact, you are the only one who is responsible."
Overall I get a sense of wonder in the smallest grain of sand and the need to observe the world around us. To pay attention to the things that happen and follow our own Personal Legend to its conclusion to fulfill the purpose we each have in life. It reminds me of the great Auntie Mame quote, "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" The character of the crystal merchant really made me think. He always dreamed of his pilgrimage to Mecca, but decided he would never really go because if he did he would have nothing else to live for and wondered if it would live up to his expectations. So, he made excuses after excuses not to fulfull his dream. The idea of loving someone in particular over the many people you meet is discussed. It is one of the things that just happens and exists with no real quantifiable reason. This will always make people ponder. I highly recommend this book! I give it 10 out of 10 crystal goblets.
::::::My next read::::::::




What does 3 months of no truck payments and a wee bit of pleading get you::::

We took Aaron for breakfast at Steak and Shake, which was very close to Wolf Camera. I heard about the new Nikon D90 from Marcus, so we stopped into to check it out. The guys behind the counter had just gotten a shipment and were playing with it. Michael and I were impressed.
Marcus is such an enabler and thank you Michael for footing the bill! Michael will be busy teaching me how to use this puppy.

After the camera purchase we went to the Subaru dealership. Kicked some tires on an Outback, Forester and Tribeca and managed not to buy anything, but we got to talk to a funny British salesman. No pressure...good stuff.
Then, we stopped by the Guitar Center and Michael showed me some sweet 12 string guitars and Aaron played on some cool drums. We safely slipped out without purchasing there, too.

The day was finished off with cleaning the garage and Michael burning the seasons worth of downed limbs and clippings. A bit tidier, but ohhhh so much more to do.

The kids are watching one of my favorite movies, "Spirited Away".

This reminds me of the avatar I created yesterday: I particularly like the alien on my t-shirt!

I have acquired the cold that has passed through all of the children. I can only guess that it has mutated in interesting virulant ways to ensure a most pleasant night's sleep. If anyone is missing a cotton ball it has snuck into my sinus cavity and I can only guess you don't want it back!

Take care! and thank you for the chicken soup, Michael!

7 comments:

Michael Taylor said...

I'm just bummed that we can't take the camera to the Braves game tomorrow. I'd be a great chance to figure out how to use some of the features. I'm looking forward to the layouts you'll create now.

Chocolate Cat said...

Wondering how Noah's silent lunch is going today! What a funny story to remember for when he is older! Hope things settle for Aaron at school, it is such a learning curve and harder for some more than others.
Love the camera!!

marcus said...

Even if I am an enabler, just remember, you saved quite a bit of money by going with the D90 instead of the D300 that you were looking at.

Michael, if you read this, I'm curious to know why you can't take it to the Braves game.

Simantha said...

Noah is just too funny!!! Where does he come up with all of that stuff?? well, at least he has an active mind!
That book does sound wonderful...good luck playing with your new toy, and hopefully you have gotten rid of all the cotton balls by now!!

Carol said...

OMG, just slip that little beauty in will you. Yikes, what a gorgeous looking camera. I will look forward to seeing the end products.

As for your kidlets, the stories are too cute. And Eve, darling girl, you are wising up so young! ROFL

Suzanne said...

You are going to love your new camera. I have an SLR Sony and I absolutely love it. It is similar to the NIKON and CANON SLR's. I still have not had time to read the manual (I have had it almost a year now) and just point and shoot. Wow, the picture quality on the SLR's is unbelievable. Perhaps you can show me how to use mine when you learn about yours. HA HA..

Julie P. (babyofmine) said...

I love "spirited away"! For some reason, our current DVD player won't let us change to the English subtitles, but that doesn't bother the boys, since they can't read that fast anyway. LOL Kenshin calls it "the Japanese movie" and will hide on the scary parts, but dance at the happy parts. :)