Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Pleased As Punch...

with the children in Primary! They all sang so well for their families on Sunday. The sister playing the piano did a marvelous job making eye contact with me and had just the right subtle gestures. We were perfectly in sync. My anxiety was, happily, unfounded. Mom and Jim came and sat with us so they could hear the children. They were so pleased to get hugs and kisses from granny and grandpa. Afterwards, my mom ran home to do some things, then graciously came back to pick the kids up after Church. They love to ride around in granny's P.T. Cruiser.

When we went to pick the kids up from my folk's house one of our cult classic movies was on. When we told the kids who were in the back bedroom watching something on Disney or Nickelodeon that Murder By Death was on they rushed into the room and plopped on the couch asking granny to bring their lunch trays in so they could watch the film. (They are a bit pampered by my mom!) We all laughed and did lines from the movie. Aaron was the only one that didn't watch because he was playing on the computer in the bedroom.

My mom made some delicious tacos for dinner. She was shocked Aaron wanted some because he had eaten a lot just a few minutes before. He is a growing boy!

:::::::::::::::::::::Platelets:::::::::::

Yesterday, Michael did his routine platelet donation. The person who sticks in the needles was much more gentle than the one last time. He came home with another t-shirt from the Red Cross showing that he was a platelet donor. He joked that if this kept up his entire wardrobe would be from The Red Cross.

:::::::::::::::::::::Field Day:::::::::::

Today, Noah had Field Day at school. He knew I could only come near the end because I had an appointment for the Fall teacher conference with Eve's teacher. It took me 10 minutes to find him and I only stayed another 10 to take his photo. He was doing a great job from the things he had signed off on his card. I got to watch him do a sack race, sit-ups, and somersault before I had to run off. Aaron had to be at the dentist for a cleaning appointment and it is 45 minutes from the house.

:::::::::::::::::::::Eve's Conference::::::

The teacher said Eve spoke very softly in her class and her favorite thing is "Dramatic Play". In dramatic play Eve is only appeased as long as she is "the" Princess. There is one little boy in her class that will pretty much do whatever she says. My mom, jokingly, said, "She should marry him now! You never know if you will find another one like that!" :) The teacher said that Eve has difficulty recognizing D'nealian font, but not regular letters. My response surprised her. I told her that D'nealian is an archaic lettering form used by those teaching children to write with their quill pens, so that their letters didn't smear when they wrote with ink. I continued that I figured she would figure it out pretty quickly...not to worry. She laughed and said, "You know our county uses D'nealian." I said my husband has an engineering job where he writes in all caps and most people use typed media. Either way it didn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

:::::::::::::::::::::Dentist Appointment::::::::

Aaron has no cavities, but a stubborn baby molar. His permanent tooth behind the non moving tooth is at an angle, so it isn't pushing the tooth enough to dissolve the roots. To the tune of $500.00+ he will pull that offending tooth. Part of that fee is $100.00 dollars for the nitrous oxide to help calm his anxiety. I offered a rubber mallet, but the doctor didn't think it was funny. He will also put sealants on the back molars at the same time.

::::::::::::::::::::::Noah:::::::::::::

lost his second tooth. I am working on a layout with the photo I took of the momentous occasion. But, Aaron has some school work to do on my computer now!

Smiles!

2 comments:

klonghall said...

The kids did great in the program! They couldn't have done it without YOU! We love having you in Primary with us. You rock!

I LOVE your response to the teacher about handwriting. I'm not a fan of D'Nealian, either. We learned to write the regular ball and stick way, and we turned out quite well. Donnie refuses to write in cursive and prints his signature.

Anonymous said...

One of the children should become a dentist to help recoup some of the funds we have all paid (and continue to pay) for dental work. Now that Noah has lost 2 teeth I am concerned that he is on his "how much can I get for my teeth" campaign. Ha! He is a hoot.
Sunday was a really great day - any day I get to spend with you and the children makes me happy.