Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Ramens Will Burn if...

you forget to add water.



Though the acrid smoke has past the smell lingers. Think...burnt popcorn smell. My dear oldest, son, Aaron, is sustained by Ramen noodles. I think he would wither and die were it not for these little wavy dried bits of carbohydrates. Oh, and let us not forgot the load of sodium. His current favorites are Chili, Chicken and Roast Chicken. When he is feeling a bit wild he mixes them together. Yes, he can take a walk on the wild side. So, why you may or may not ask, did he burn said wavy treasure? I'm sure it had nothing to do with staying up until the wee hours of the morning to play the computer and watch Dr. Who. He was a bit distracted getting ready to go mow the neighbor's grass. He wanted to grab a quick small meal, so he grabbed the Ramens like he does most every day, placed them in a bowl and popped them in the microwave. He ran to the bathroom. I had my back turned trying to put 2 boxes of frozen pizza into our freezor. After a few seconds I jokingly called out, "Aaron what are you burning?" The smell was getting worse by the second. I turned to look at the microwave and saw billowing smoke. I grabbed the door and looked at the smoldering ramen noodles sans water. I grabbed the bowl and stuck it in the sink and turned on the water. AHHH! More smoke!

I sit here with the windows open, the air conditioner off, and the door open praying the mosquitos are too confused by the burnt carbon to find my legs and arms.

Aaron opted for a bowl of Breyer's chocolate ice cream with Hershey's syrup to hold him over while he mows the grass. One must always have back up plans if you should, per chance, burn your first choice.

::::::::::::::A Just For Fun Layout::::::::


Just having some fun with the love birds.


Credits: Kate Hadfield: Love Birds, Diner Doodles, Vehicle Doodles
Jacque Larsen/Kate Hadfield Cleaning Doodles, Tea Party, Celebrate, Tooth Fairy Doodles
Jenna Desai: Doodled Border
Alpha: Darcy Baldwin's Spotty Alpha
Catrine's Chalked Alpha and Explore Solids
Font: Cheapskate Outline, Calvin and Hobbes


:::::::::::::Family Swim:::::::::::

We finally got to go to family swim time at our local pool. The kids tired themselves out and drank abit of chlorine. Rachel would like to warn against embibing chlorine. She said it made her stomach hurt.

During our last 20 minutes at the pool I was playing with Eve in a smaller circular pool inside the lazy river set up. I was on the other side of the circle and she said, "Come and get me!" So, I went underwater to grab her and she surprised me by swimming past me to the other side. She and I found this to be quite a fun game. She got so much more confidence to use her swimming skills and stick her face in and swim across. She was so proud to play and be able to swim. I am so proud of her, too!

:::::::::::::Walking::::::::::

I did my 5 mile walk and it was another situation where it took 2 miles for my foot to feel okay. Surprisingly, my foot hasn't hurt as much after the fact as it has in the past couple of weeks. Maybe my foot is getting better, or I have permanent nerve damage? Hmmm? I'm going to check the store for those Ace Bandage thingies and look for one for arch support.

There are a couple of new regular walkers at the park that smile when I pass. I call them "The Double Mint Twins". They appear to be in their early twenties, shaved heads and about 6 feet tall.

:::::::::::::Family Reading:::::

The kids and I got a kick out of last night's chapter of Tales From the Hood. Puck has an allergy that is so too funny. The Ferryport Landing librarian is great and the razzing Puck gives him is hilarious, too!

:::::::::::::Today:::::::::::

I'm taking Aaron to the store to spend a few of his hard earned dollars, I have a Yearbook meeting and the guys are leaving for a rock climbing trip/camp out.

Take care! I hope y'all have a great weekend!

6 comments:

Creative Junkie said...

i have never understood the fondness for Ramen - even if i only use 1/4 of the seasoning packet, it's so salty i immediately retain about a gallon of water.

good for you for going on 5 miles walks! i'm trying to get back into walking. i really need to invest in a good pair of sneakers with good arch support or i'm going to kill myself before i get to mile 2.

Tammy said...

there is nothing worse that burnt popcorn from the microwave!! Oh and his backup plan is the best.

Have a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

great family stories - sounds like fun

lorig said...

burnt Ramen and burnt popcorn are awful. This past winter we had a student burn both at lunch time. Yuck!. Sounds like your son had a great backup plan.

Julie P. (babyofmine) said...

eeeww, burnt ramen! A few years ago, my sister lived with us, and we came home to the smell of burnt macaroni. She had put it on the burner to boil, and then forgot about it. We had to throw away the pan. LOL

I gave your blog an award; go see it! :)

Beth {kewl_jive} said...

Yay! I love Japanese Ramen, got addicted to it when we got here in Tokyo. So great to read more about your lil family. Thanks for stopping by, really appreciate it so much, sweetie. Hope all is well. I'll visit you often.

Take Care!

XOXO,
Beth
kewl_jive