Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Thursday, July 24, 2008

A Walk Down Memory Lane...




1. As a comment on my blog, leave one memory that you and I had together. It doesn't matter if you knew me a little or a lot, anything you remember!

2. Next, re-post these instructions on your blog and see how many people leave a memory about you. It's actually pretty funny to see the responses. If you leave a memory about me, I'll assume you're playing the game and I'll come to your blog and leave one about you. If you don't want to play on your blog, or if you don't have a blog, I'll leave my memory of you in my comments.

:::::::::::::::::::::::Book Review:::::::::::


The new installment of the Sisters Grimm stories was a crowd pleaser at our house. We finished reading the last two chapters last night and the kids were cheering and asking questions, eager to find out what happened next. The kids loved having Robin Hood and his Merry Men in this one with their fun lines and action scenes. The two characters that got the biggest laughs were Puck and The Mad Hatter. I thought the kids were going to lose muscle control during the court scenes with The Mad Hatter as the judge. Puck's choice for the body guard contingent to the Grimms is pretty hilarious, too!
If you have young children they would probably be rather frightened by some of the imagery and action in the book. I often was creeped out by the Grimm Fairy tales as a kid, so I find the twisted humor in this series cathartic. Noah noticed one inconsistency in the book that regarded a spell placed around Little Red Riding Hood. I told him that he should work as an editor, which led to...

Noah: What is an editor?

Victoria: Someone who looks for consistency in a book?

Noah: What is consistency?

Rachel, Aaron, Michael: "READ THE BOOK!"

We are so excited that Michael Buckley plans to write another story in the series! WOOT WOOT! I give Tales From The Hood 3 Fairy Godmothers out of 3!




Michael put some new podcasts in the mp3 player for me, yesterday. On my walk, I listened to Astronomy Cast's show on Galaxies.
I also listened to Wait Wait's show from 7/20 that featured John Waters as a guest.

:::::::::::::::::::Today:::::::::::

Rachel is going to the dentist to have her teeth cleaned. Yesterday, the orthodontist said she was looking good and that we didn't need to return until December. He tightened her appliance, we made a schedule, then went to do a little school shopping.

We stopped by Old Navy and Rachel found a cute skort, some cropped shorts with a tailored edge, and a couple of shirts.


Take care!

6 comments:

Sue said...

Am I supposed to leave the memory here or on my blog - I don't follow directions well.
My memory of you (there are so many to choose from)is when you would sing along with the tunes on the radio as a very young child. Your words sometimes differed from the actually song - Knocking on Kevin's door was Knocking on Heaven's door. I just loved to hear you sing along. When I tried to sing with you, you would put your hands over your ears and say "stop, stop singing."

JP2E said...

Just one memory? Thats tough, maybe impossible.
You were a very good kid and we were always proud of you.
I will always remember you stepping up to the plate when there was a lull in the church talent show. You convinced Lani and Andrea to get on stage with you and perform. I want to say that you did a song from "Annie get your gun", but I could be wrong.
I also remember you putting on coveralls and successfully changing the oil in your old FORD "FIASCO"...

Carol said...

My memory of you, considering we've never met or spoken to each other (LOL) is from this blog, I loved loved loved looking at all your holiday pictures, particularly Niagara Falls ones because it brought back some wonderful memories for me.

Okay I'm playing unfair, I'm going to put two memories - all the help you gave me when I was making my first Shutterfly book. I had seen yours on the blog and they were just so terrific and I had questions and your patience in answering them was just so kind.

Michael Taylor said...

Where do I start? Just one?
Okay here's one. Waking up on I-85 headed south at about 2:00 in the morning in my dad's truck, loaded down with all of Grandma Jo's stuff and glancing over at the speedometer and the needle is approaching 90 MPH.

Beth said...

darling . . . you need to come over to my blog and check the post from July 20th.

Really.

You'll be glad you did!

janna said...

My first memory of you was on SBB. I made some retro 80's thing and I remember your LO and your cool pictures & your mom's wigs.