Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Things That Never Really Happened...

Here are a couple of layouts I posted to Designer Digitals with the theme of "Things That Never Really Happened":



Always known as an inventor, Georgia designed a dress that would allow women to fly around enabling them to get errands done more quickly. Her hot-air balloon inspired sleeves would inflate to bowling ball size and then the wearer's arms were used for attitude control.
Right as this picture was taken Georgia exclaimed, “Look mom! No hands!”


Invogue kit from Scrap Artist, A Traveling We Will Go brush by Sande Krieger, Curled Edge by Anna Aspnes, Font: DJB Michelled

As the photographer stared at Isabelle she realized her obsession for smuggling watermelons across the border had to stop.


Christmas papers by IOD, notepaper, Fresh stamp, string by Katie Pertiet (Magnolia Kit), cardboard tear by Linda Gil Bildal, postcard by Christine Honsinger, staple from Softly Softly by KSharonK, Curled edge by Anna Aspnes, Font: DJB Michelled and Taylor Mackenzie.


::::::::::::::::::::::::::Scout Camp Update:::::::

Michael drove through a hail storm, but got to the camp in safety. He is going to check the truck when he gets a chance because he said the hail was pretty large.
He said Aaron seems to be making friends from the different troops. Michael said that he was constantly saying "hi!" and waving to other kids. This is where Aaron takes after my mother. My kids are, all, really good about trying to be friends with new people. (Long-term relationships...that's another thing).
Aaron was the most excited to tell Michael he could now float. Aaron can swim, but has not learned any technique. He won't listen to either Michael or I when we try to teach him, but we figured working with a new instructor and boys with similar issues that he could resolve the problems. I'm very happy to hear that it is looking like he will.

::::::::::::::::::::::Reading Ahead:::::::::

that is a pet peave of mine. I never read ahead in a book because I really enjoy having stories unfold. Rachel told me that she read the end of the book we are using for our family reading. I couldn't believe it! I gave her quite a stern look and told her how unhappy I was and that she has really messed up the whole experience. She keeps getting upset with me for stopping at each chapter because she says they are each cliff hangers. Well, duh! (That phrase is more than trite, but it is how I feel about that statement)! Oh, I am ranting!


:::::::::::::::::::::Interesting Science Fact::::::

I have always wondered why Americans used the Farenheit scale over the Celsius scale and in the book I'm reading, Theories for Everything it gave this information:

"In 1708, Polish-born Dutch instrument maker Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit visited Romer. He returned to the Netherlands and porduced his own version of an alcohol thermometer, setting 0 degrees as the temperature at which beer freezes and 100 degrees as the temperature of the human body."

After reading this I was able to see the bizarre loyalty some people had in this reasoning. I wonder if I should shoot an email off to Coors and ask them if they are going to celebrate the 300th anniversary of the Fahrenheit "beer" scale with promotional thermometers?!?

Smiles!

3 comments:

Carol said...

OMG OMG OMG!!! I loooooooove these! You have the same warped sense of humour that I have. I am laughing so hard. Love the watermelons. Ingenius! It's fun isn't it.

jennieb75 said...

Those LOs are hysterical!!! Love them... and your musings about the temperature difference are very thought provoking! lol j/k.
Cheers!
Jennie

-eVa- said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE your new LOs! they're gorgeous!