Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Friday, June 15, 2007

Look Into My Eyes!

***Edited to add...I won the contest at Jen Caputo's site! I am so excited she liked my layout! What a nice way to start the day! Thanks, Jen!




Text: My husband always throws a crazy-eyed look on his face when anyone takes his picture. The kids think it's hilarious, so they have started doing the same thing. Noah is now a "Duffuss Apprentice", but Michael is the "Duffuss Master"!

Background paper from Oil Paints by Gina Miller, Stitched Alpha Doodle and Doodle Alpha by Kate Hadfield, Circle Borderlines from Borderlines 4 by Sande Krieger, Backward Staples by Jenn Patrick, Notebook Alpha by Ashley Olson, Punch Label by Christina Renee, Google Eyes by Katie Pertiet, Waxy Doodles by Lauren Reid, Cardboard overlay by Linda Gil Bildal, Grunge Alpha by Birgit, Font: DB Michael by Darcy

...My mom figures that our ancestors will think Michael had some congenital eye problem due to all the goofy eyed photos everyone has snapped of him. Now with the children pulling the same faces it will be added evidence to think just that! Well, I suppose I'm culpable too, because I create layouts of their zany faces!

:::::::::::::::::::Curriculum::::::::::

I've already started to look through curriculum ideas for next year for Aaron. I am looking for a Logic and Rhetoric course manual. It should be a rather pertinent course considering the election debates are heating up all over. It will make a very glaring case for the amount of illogical discussions that exist in politics. I will be including lessons on the law and using the government website to update on the politicians and bills.

I will, also, include merit badge focused lessons that interest Aaron. There are so many different areas that are covered by the BSA merit badges.

As far as, languages Aaron expressed interest in learning German, which is completely out of my depth. I only can recognize the word for I and tell someone gesundheit (sp?) when they sneeze. Michael speaks Japanese and I have taken enough Spanish and French to muddle through those languages. We will still be working with Latin, but the declensions are a bit confusing. Michael's brother Marcus speaks German, but he lives to far away to be of much help with the teaching part of things. So I'm not sure what to do. There are some great language cds from Pimsleur at the library, so I'll probably grab those for study.

:::::::::::::::::::::Sunburn Update:::::::::

Everyone is peeling and the kids all report feeling just fine. I can, now, raise my arms above my head without wincing in extreme pain. YEAH! Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy!

I hope y'all have a happy and productive...or laid back...weekend!

Smiles!

:::::::::::::::::::
:::::::::::::::::::

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your layout rocks!! I love all the arrows and the swirls..just love it all!!

Cindy said...

lol... LOVE the layout, Victoria - and I can see your mom's point!

Brooke said...

That is too funny about the eyes. Love the layout! Sounds like an interesting curriculum as well. Have a great day!

marcus said...

I'm told that the Rosetta Stone Language software is top notch for learning a new language. I don't have it, but I think Stephen may. I do have some German Language CDs, a series of 15 or so that you may borrow if you like.

I started peeling today, but the only sunburn I got was on the top of my head. It looks like I have the worst case of dandruff ever.

Kirstie said...

congrats on the win and the LO is great

Carol said...

Victoria, congratulations on the win from me too. My initial thoughts when you mentioned about the eyes, is oh my, can you imagine in 100 years time there'll be some digi scrapper who scraps Michael's photo in her quest to do the "Things that never really happened". Can you imagine the captions she'll be able to use! LOL