Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Monday, February 04, 2008

Don't Forget to Vote!

:::::::::::::::::::::How Cool is My Mom?::::::

She is so cool that she invited Eve and Rachel to the Hannah Montana Concert at the movie theatre. Rachel wasn't going to go, but Eve's enthusiasm won her over. She came back from the theatre all smiles. My mom said that everyone had a blast singing and that Eve waved her straw in the air. I wonder what Eve would think of Chastain Park where they wave sparklers. I think a pyro will be born the instant she finds out. So, Thank You, "Cool Granny"!

:::::::::::::::::::Austenland:::::::::


Shannon Hale has captured the essence of what it is that women feel when we read Jane Austen books and watch the film adaptations. Her character Jane embodies the longing for a man who makes you feel beautiful everyday, has a razor sharp wit, a bit brooding at times (with a heart of gold) and has a nice bum in a pair of breeches. Jane's struggles with her definition of boyfriend and how the concept changed after watching Colin Firth in "Pride and Prejudice". I have yet to see this adaptation, but from what I hear I best be sitting down because Firth sweeps you off your feet. Back to this book...I liked that Jane was not really comfortable in her own skin and needed to get over her Mr. Darcy obssession and the way this character develops is thoroughly satisfying. Shannon Hale's quick turn of phrase and flippant remarks let the reader feel like a trusted friend hearing all her thoughts and feelings. I loved the device that segued the chapters of meeting Jane's numbered boyfriends. I about fell out of bed when she described boyfriend #7, too succinct and funny! This is going onto my favorites shelf!


::::::::::::::::::::Wilton 1, Lesson 3:::::

Tonight is my 3rd lesson at Cake Art. I have my icing prepared, my wax squares cut and my cupcakes ready and iced. I'll set up some pastry bags later.

::::::::::::::::::::Don't Forget to Vote::::

today is voting day in Georgia. My mom already voted and Michael was the first to vote this morning. I'm planning to stop over and vote after taking Eve to school.

::::::::::::::::::::New Prophet Called:::::::

President Monson is the new prophet. Not surprising. His counselors are President Eyring and President Uchtdorf. I tell you that these guys give me warm fuzzies in my heart. Seriously! They help me feel the love of the Saviour and that is a wonderful blessing.

::::::::::::::::::::I'll update later with my next reading book.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus 3d movie concert was certain fun for Rachel and Eve. It was so much fun watching them while they watched the concert. Excitement oozed from every pore. Oh, to be young again......

janna said...

What a cool grandma! My girls, and maybe secretly my son, would love to see it too.

I would have voted, but here in Idaho we just had Democratic Cokecce (SP)

Carol said...

Your mum is very cool. oooh and I have a friend who loves Jane Austen, I wonder if she knows about this book.

klonghall said...

I'm finally catching up on my blog reading. Donnie got me a new computer for my birthday, and all my "favorites" are still saved on the old computer. I'm getting this one updated little by little. I'm so glad you liked "Austenland." I just listened to it again. I read it the first time. The audio version is good. Funny story, I recommended it to Marci who, in turn, recommended it to someone else in the ward. That person refered to this book as "trash" in a later conversation with her. I'm thinking of choosing it as my pick for an upcoming Book Club just to be ornery. Trash!?! Did we read the same book? It's not as rich as Shannon Hale's other books, but it still was such a fun read for me.