Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Bagpipe Playing Grannies ROCK!

My dear cyber pal, Carol, inspired me to use Eve's photo all by itself, so this is the outcome:


Credits: Spring Fling Collab: Kate Hadfield, Rachel Young, and Michelle Godin, Swirl Therapy by Jofia Designs, Font: CK ALI
Eve is glancing back at me taking and wanting me to catch up and walk with her.

:::::::::::::::Dawn Inskip::::::::::

Carol also inquired about Dawn Inskip. She is a designer who sells funky and doodly styled designs at 5 stores. She also sells at one store under a pseudonym, Luisa Leandro. It is a quirky thing one of the sites does with all its designers. Here are some links to her designs:

NDISB
TTS
Sophia Sarducci's as Luisa Leandro
Scrap Scandi Style



:::::::::::::::::::Pre-School Week::::::

Eve has had two of her favorite beings visit her pre-school class. On Wednesday, Aaron and I took Jasper, the ferret, to school for "Pet Day". Eve's teacher gave everyone a time for their pet so that no horrific pet disasters occurred due to incompatibility. Aaron red the children a little bit about what a ferret is and how they were domesticated. Eve was proud to have Jasper in her lap some of the time. The teachers were a bit creeped out by the concept and appearance of a ferret, while the school director and music teacher thought he was adorable. Most of the kids were excited to pet him and Jasper was well behaved. We took him in a newspaper lined hamper and he was so anxious to explore, but we had to keep him contained.

......Day 2, today, was "Grandparent's Day"
I had already told the teacher about the bagpipe playing granny. Crystal, the lead teacher, was also excited to meet the famous and mysterious "Granny with the Yellow hair". My mom showed up with her Georgia Tartan (a regional one for the state)scarf. She brought her shuttle pipes and played a few tunes: "Amazing Grace", Mull of Kintyre by Paul McCartney, and "When the Battles Over". She played some with the drones off so the kids could hear the melody. She also gave the history of the pipes and when they are used. The teachers were so receptive and the kids did really well. She played for 4 different classes at once in the sanctuary. After 20 minutes or so the 3 other classes went back to their rooms and Eve's class stayed. Each of the kids got to get their photo taken with the practice pipes she brought. The kids were a little timid, but Eve was beaming. BAGPIPES ROCK!...and so do Grannies who play bagpipes for their grandkids. My mom has played for each of the kids at the preschool, I think. It has been a few years between each child and all have attended the same preschool.

........Afterwards my mom and I ran over to Zaxby's for a quick lunch. Grandpa Jim met us their for an impromtu meal. I had their yummy grilled chicken salad. My mom went for the hot wings with "hot" sauce. She was happy, but I just see wings as an unnecessary anatomy lesson. Grandpa Jim got the chicken fingers. Good stuff. My mom drove me back to the school to my car and to give Eve a hug and kiss.

:::::::::::::::::::::::How Are You Doing?:::::::

Is a polite question everyone asks when they call. I have been answering, politely, and truthfully that I'm very frustrated with my son. He is given a math assignment that he takes the entire day to finish...often late into the evening. He doesn't listen to the instruction...says he understands...does the problem wrong...reworks the problem after getting more instruction....works the problem wrong. This is an every day occurrence. The only thing he likes to do is the history and science, but puts the minimum amount of effort into the work. This has been a pattern of his all of his life and we can give no incentive of punishment that modifies the behavior. We don't want to give him medication because we think the side effects are equally disturbing. I really worry about him long term. He does himself a great disservice and I think I getting an ulcer over the whole situation. If not I just am extremely frustrated 5 days out of every week.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::What Do You Do When Your Child Is Taking FOREVER to do Math?:
You don't really have to tell me, but I chose to finally work on Federal and State Taxes. We only get a little back, which is pretty good considering Michael has us down for 15 exemptions at work. He would be happy if we weren't getting anything back, or paying because the balance would be great. I took the opportunity to explain to Aaron some of the taxes his dad has to pay from his job, such as:

Federal Taxes
State Taxes
Medicare Taxes
Social Security (HE WON'T SEE A DIME OF THIS!)
Real Estate Taxes
Automobile Tags

Someone on the radio said that folks in the U.S. pay 38% of their income in taxes, which takes most people from January to May for taxes alone.


:::::::::::::::::::::::::Another Layout from my SIL's Album:::::



:::::::::::::::::::::::::Girl Scout Cookies::::::::

I'm picking the cookies up on Saturday, so the folks at Michael's work will be appeased. Thank you to all who purchased from Rachel. She was able to make her personal goal. I plan to take her to deliver the cookies and thank folks. I usually can make it to Michael's work right after school, but not to my mom's work which I'll try to work out both places. Thanks, Again!

:::::::::::::::::::::::::Check Out Michael's Blog::::

His wiretapping topic is really interesting.

Later, y'all! :)

5 comments:

All That Chit Chat said...

Great blog you've got here. Full of gorgeous lo's Thanks so much for stopping by!

Unknown said...

LOVE the LO and especially the photo - it says so much about the day, the family, the lighting is wonderful and your layout just compliments is all so nicely. Lovely to read your blog too :)

Anonymous said...

Our gang at work are excited that the cookies will be here soon. The Bagpipe experience was great. The children were so sweet. The teachers are so delightful, too.

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for the mention Victoria :) The first LO is darling :)

Carol said...

Oh yes yes yes! I'm catching up reading and Oh My! Victoria, that picture is perfect, that page even more so. Absolutely exquisite. You need to enter that into a scrapbooking magazine. It would be front page for sure.

As for the bagpipe playing granny, we know all bagpipe players rock! Right?