Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Everywhere I Go...



::::::::::::This Sketch from SNL is Hilarious:::::::





:::::::::::::::::Book Review:::::::::
I just finished reading this book about baffling science mysteries and I am totally out of my depth reading about them. I am a glutton for mental punishment, though, because I really enjoyed trying to figure out the logic and science behind the many theories and questions presented. Some of the topics are Life, A Giant Virus, Death, Free Will, The Placebo Effect, Homeopathy and Cold Fusion. Amazing read, but I need a translator.
For the section on Free Will, Michael Brooks, relates an observation by William James,
"We know what it is to get out of bed on a freezing morning in a room without a fire, and how the very vital principle within us protests against the ordeal...now how do we ever get up under such circumstances? If I may generalize from my own experience, we more often than not get up without any struggle or decision at all. We suddenly find that we have got up."

Truly a fascinating read! If you need a science translator, just give Michael a call.


:::::::::::::::::::::::Video Pick of the Day:::::::::

No comments: