Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Saturday, October 11, 2008

It's Nice to Have Neighbors That Have A Similar Sense of Humor:

I was invited to a (Wall Paper) Stripping Party at my neighbor's house. She was tired of looking at the floral wallpaper in her bedroom. She also promised lunch for my efforts, so why not! Two of her friends came over to help for a few hours, then had to leave to pick up their kids from preschool. I stayed until my kids came home a couple of hours later. I was able to help her finish up the third wall and clean up. She used her enthusiasm and adrenaline to finish up the wall a little while later. Michael called me down stairs to say I had a message. This is what my funny neighbor left on my walkway:


CLASSIC!

I'm going slightly out of order because I have a few things going on. The wall paper dealy was on Wednesday, but this next blurb was on Monday:

Spotlight on Specials:

This was a night of going to school with the kids and learning about some of the classes devoted to certain subjects. We didn't get to go to every Specials class, but Noah showed us the Math Specials room in this photo:
Eve caught some air time in the gym:


Aaron and Michael checked out their hand/eye coordination:

Everybody checked out the keyboards in the music room:






When we got back home Noah was still climbing the walls...literally:

The Kindergarten had a field trip to Washington Farms in Watkinsville, Ga. I drove up separately in my minivan and got there shortly before the buses arrived: I got a photo of Eve's eager face at the bus window:




Pie pumpkins are small and sweet. This one is destined to be a pumpkin pie filling:


::::::::::::::::::Thursday::::::::
I had a workshop day with our Josten's yearbook representative. There were only a few people that could make the training class, so I was able to ask my questions and get some help with the software. Come to find out I was the most involved of the advisors in working with the program. I was able to point some things out that frustrated me to another advisor and give some ideas on what worked well. The Josten's rep laughed and told the other advisor that I was anal about getting everything right. It's true. I also was looking at other yearbooks and they are cookie cutters of the year before with big photos and no journaling. It goes against my grain to not tell the story, or bits of it at least. I have a hard time asking people to buy something that I have not put my best effort in. I'm not a slap and go kinda person. I have been indexing the photos as I find out the students names to try and make sure everyone is in the book more than once and can find themselves. I've had kids ask me to take their photos and saying they have never seen themselves in more than the student class section. I'm now the yearbook lady and I have teachers smile and grab my arm to show me a great shot, or just be polite and tell the kids to keep working. I also get kids saying, "Hey, there is Eve's mom, (Noah's mom), (Rachel's mom), and I get the biggest grins. I wish I could get all of the great photos into the book in the end. I have never done this type of book before, but I hope to be up to the expectations of myself and others.

::::::::::::::::::TODAY:::::::::::
I took another Wilton Art class. The lesson was on making Petit Fours. It was a 2 hours hands on class. We all got to decorate 5 petit fours. We used poured fondant for 4 of them and white chocolate for 1. I brought them home and my mom photographed them, so when I get the photos I will post them. I shared them with my eager family. Everyone was complimentary. I particularly like petit fours and the limitless decorating possibilities.

:::::::::::::::::Reading::::::::::
Still enjoying the The Mysterious Benedict Society. I'm also reading a book about science and I had to have Michael explain to me the difference between gravity and the strong force as it relates to the presence of dark matter. I'm still confused. Gravity is bending light like it shouldn't by our understanding. I find this stuff fascinating, but remain sooooo clueless!

I grabbed a book on the Magna Carta that I will add to my Shelfari. It looks pretty cool. I have to run and pick the kids up from a birthday party...so later, gators!

4 comments:

Sue said...

My daughter the stripper. You are a multi-talented lady. I can't wait to see the year book because I know how much work and love is going into it. You Rock my Sweetie!
Love the blog - It was very entertaining!
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

I Love you mom, but your ... whats the word?.. STRANGE!! I remember walking home from the Chinese food place and seeing that in front of the house. It was an interesting sighth and it took me awhile to realize what it was saying. I find it quite bizzare actually. Love Ya

Chocolate Cat said...

Oh my goodness I had to laugh at the message your neighbour left!! You have been so busy!I am sure the yearbook will be great - you are putting so much effort into it. Looking forward to seeing the photos of your petit fours.

Carol said...

Fabulous photographs, and as for the stripper message, I can only imagine what the postman or people passing by must have thought if it had been out there for a while, ROFL. What a great exercise work out though, and yes, good friends all pitch in when needed. It sounds like you're from a good neighbourhood.