Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Set...

::::::::::::::Tennis Camp, Day 2:::::::::

Today the girls were given a refresher on the forehand and backhand stroke, then they were taught the forehand and backhand volleys. They also got to play a few different games. Rachel was upset because a tall, older girl was making fun of her when she would miss the ball. She pondered the question why people feel compelled to tear others down instead of encourage them. She tries to encourage people and feels this should be some kind of shield against insensitive a rude behavior from others.

Stream of Consciousness Section:

I have been staying for both of the sessions and just relaying home to swap kids in the 30 minute time difference. I have taken the opportunity to watch the kids from the side-lines and saying only a few words like, "Slip your hand to the bottom of the racquet.", or giving a thumbs up to Eve. For each drill the kids form lines. It is interesting to me the jocking for place in line, when it is certain that everyone will get an equal turn and line order offers no real benefits. Both of my girls slide to the back, as kids shoulder them out of the way. I got into thinking about birth order of kids, or only children, or age but I'm not sure what determines kids just being rude. Then I extrapolate that to kids growing up to be rude in lines for every other event and people who run stop signs, or drive aggressively on the highway. I'm not one to break in line, nor do I give up my space, unless I deem the person has issues that take priority. My line on this is not black and white because I have broken societal taboos by making my daughter go to the men's restroom, while I stood at the door watching that she was okay (the main door was open, so I could stand right outside). She was desperate to go to the restroom and the women's side was lined up with listless Eloy-types who weren't moved by her heavy sobs and contorting body. My daughter was mortified for being told to go to the men's' room, but she would have been more distraught having soiled herself.

So, all in all, I'm proud that my girls aren't jostlers, shovers, breakers in line, and my respect for them increases as they are on their way to becoming people who value other people.

Rachel practices her backhand:
Eve loved her cantaloupe snack breaks:
You talkin' to me?!? Eve works on her forehand volley:
And again...



::::::::::::::::Mother's Day Card::::::::::



Credits: A card describing a bit about me by my ds, Noah.
Credits:
Riding on Buses by Karen Lewis
http://www.thedigichick.com/shop/pro...t=0&page=1

Font: DJB Kyle Second Grade by Darcy Baldwin
http://www.thedigichick.com/shop/pro...t=0&page=1


I would like to respond to each of my son's perceptions of me point by point:
Since my name is Victoria, Noah is answering very factually...2 points


I am actually 5'4" and shrinking, but since he didn't list my weight...2 points


My hair is brown and my eyes are blue. I do like to keep it highlighted with ash blonde tones, but that is just not in his realm of important information...2 points


I do like to eat salad (my two favorites are Ceasar Salad and grilled chicken on a bed of spinach) and I can't stand the book, Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Noah loves the book and I think the character is shallow and self-serving and he grates on my nerves. I don't, however, mind saying "Zoowey Momma", or passing on the "Cheese Touch"... 2 points


I do wake him up on most days. He has been none to wake up a time, or two by himself...2 points.


I do not watch t.v. every day. I, in fact, watch t.v. on Friday nights and Saturday afternoon/evening. My parents have satellite and all the cool forensic shows have to be watched at their house. On Saturday, starting at 8:00p.m. the British comedies start on P.B.S. The current programming has: "Are You Being Served", "As Time Goes By", "To The Manor Born" and "Keeping Up Appearances", "Last of the Summer Wine", "Waiting for God". I love the dry wit and outlandish humor in these shows, so Noah gets ...1 point.


My favorite thing to do is scrapbook. My family does so many things that I want to remember...2 points


I do love him!!!...Infinite points


Since Noah loves math so much I will inform him that his mom card has received Infinity + 13 points for veracity. Not too shabby for a 2nd grader.




::::::::::::::::::::Vacation Page...getting closer to finished:::::

My son picked out a couple of cute items at a shop on the Canadian side of Niagara Falls.

Credits: Font: DJB Malea and DJB MISS LIZ by Darcy Baldwin @ the digichick.com

Kate Hadfield's Tall and Skinny Alpha

Cinnamon Design's Evitangel kit


:::::::::::::::Nap::::::::

I took one today for 2 hours!!!!!!!!! Thank you to my husband and family for letting me sleep. :)

When I got up Michael had made beefstew with the meat I had slow cooked. Tasty! He just finished making Rice Krispie Treats...BLISS!

Take care

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great photos!!! Camp sounds fun..... have a great day!

Carol said...

Oh Noah's letter has made me smile, but then I got a wee bit intimidated. I had never picked you for being a six foot Amazonian type woman!! LOL So now I'm feeling much better than you're 5'4 I beat you by only half an inch! te he.

Sue said...

If Noah did a card for me it would be entitled "Jelly Belly" and since he didn't - he gets more infinite points.

Sue said...

Rachel is sensitive and I feel her pain. There have always been people like the "tall older girl" who cannot seem to control their tongues and "tear down" other people. They and their ilk are to be avoided. They offer nothing constructive to people around them. I hope Rachel is always as sensitive as she is now and that she will learn to let the rudeness of others just roll off her back because their words offer nothing useful and can and should be disregarded and ignored.

20Birds said...

i want a nap *slight whine to my voice*
hmmm, the canadian layout is fun, i love his expression and the wavy lines, and that floss tying the photo is great
sad commentary on me that the nap and my lack thereof was my overriding thought