Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Talking About Yesterday

:::::::::::::::::::Scout Camp::::::

I was thrilled to see that Michael got a chance to blog about the goings on at Scout Camp. Here is a link to his blog, and he included some good photos of Aaron in his role as waiter. I have given Michael some photo suggestions so I can scrap them when he gets home. A new record high was set at 98 degrees Farenheit for yesterday in Atlanta. It made me nervous to think the boys were out in that heat. I know they have been taught the skills to stay safe. I also hope they emplement that knowledge, as well.

:::::::::::::::::::A Couple More Album Layouts:::::


Catrine's Explore Solids, Ida's Weathered Journaling, Font: DJB DONNAR by Darcy Baldwin at www.thedigichick.com, Nancy Comelab Cluster frame modified, Misc. Font: CK Good Point

Credits: Catrine's Explore Solids, Dawn Inskip's Doodle from her guest c.t. mini kit, Kate Hadfield's Black Doodle Alpha and Doodle Music notes


:::::::::::::::::Noah and Sammy::::::
are great friends. Here is the artwork Noah did during school this past year when he was given the theme of "Friend":

Credits: Spring Fling Collaboration by Kate Hadfield, Rachel Young, and Michelle Godin, Background paper from June BOYC at TLP by Jacque Larsen, Doodle frame by Kate Hadfield, Clear brackets by Emily Powers' from Art Nation Blossom, Kate Hadfield's Alpha and Tag from First Day Jitter's Collab

:::::::::::::::::Exciting Summer Adventures::::::::

Since it was so hot, yesterday, I took the kids about 8:00p.m. to the library. The 2 minutes I was in the "Quiet Reading Room" looking to see if there were any new magazines I heard a NOT whispering, happy voice. I went out so see an older man scowling at Eve who was chattering with a little that looked to be her age. Eve was using a step stool to touch a large, fake butterfly on the shelves. I quieted her down and told the girls to play over in the children's section. Eve, promptly, informed me this little girl was her new friend. The other girl, equally as promptly, agreed. I walked around looking for books Rachel might like, while keeping an eye on the new friends. They hopped on the library rug, looked at a couple of books, then they marched to the Teen Reading section. There they found a magnetic board with little magnetic words you could rearrange. They decided to set this board on a high table like Eve had sat in at a local restaurant. When Eve put the board down the stand popped out from under it and the board slammed over scattering word pieces everywhere. One of the male librarians was right there and said not to worry he would clean it up, but Eve, cheerfully, told him that she and her friend could get them. They got down, immediately, and cleaned up the pieces. They played with the word that neither could read, and had a comical conversation that eavesdropped on as I sat on the adjacent couch. Here is a snippet of things I overheard:

Eve: "I saw my friend's cat, today."

Danisha: "I have a lion in my backyard!"

Eve: "You have brown skin. My skin is yellow. My mom's skin is yellow. Your skin is brown. Why are you called black?"

Danisha: "I don't know. My mom's skin has polka dots. My dad has yellow skin."

***"Danisha, it's time to go!"...stated her older sister.

Eve: "Your sister said it was time for you to leave."

Danisha: "I know, I don't listen to her."

Shortly after that Danisha's mom came up to get her and the girls said their goodbyes after Danisha introduced her friend Eve to her family. I had such a blast being a fly on the wall and listening to the chatter of two, instant friends. Their stories were fantasy mixed with reality and told with such animation it really made my day. What a great ability to have to see someone, say "Hi", and consider them your friend. What a better world this would be if it was that easy for everyone.

Smiles! :)

7 comments:

Carol said...

I totally have to do this, to get a copy of some drawings for a scrap page. What a perfect way to preserve a moment in time.

Can I ask - do you scan them as is, or take a photo of them?

Bridget said...

I love your little boy's friendship layout!!! It's great. What a wonderful way to preserve those drawings they make for us. And only if only we were all as friendly as Eve and Daniesha the world may have fewer problems. What sweet little girls!

Michael Taylor said...

The boys did great yesterday. It didn't quite break record up here but it was 96.
As always, great layouts.

Rose Farver said...

I love your whimsical layouts and great blog!

Sue said...

Eve is a wonderful friendly little darlin'and I marvel at her loving ways.
Love Noah's Baptism layout and all the rest as well. Simply marvelous!

movefearlessly said...

awesome lo's. loved reading about that connversation. great post

janna said...

Love the baptism layouts and the cute story about EVE.

I wish it would warm up here for girls camp next week. I guess there is still snow on the camp grounds....
YEEK