Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Do They Have Decorating Personal Trainers?

If they don't already Eve is up for the task. The minute I brought her home from pre-school, yesterday, she was saying, "It's time to finish the cake." Repeated for 10 minutes until I gave in and pulled everything out and iced away.




For you cake afficionados I realize that there are several errors on the finished task, but half the battle is to know what needs to be fixed. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it!).


::::::::::::::::::::::Make Him Laugh:::::::

Here is the first layout I've finished as a guest C.T. for SCARLETHEELSmedia:

Text: Noah used the old "pull your left leg over your shoulder trick" to get Spencer to laugh.
Then, Noah used the "make silly noises trick".


Credits:


Darcy Baldwin: DJB Kira at The Digichick
SCARLETHEELSmedia: Word It: Friendship an Funky Playground exclusive
Graphical Papers and Painted Nature at Sweet Shoppe Designs
Shabby Miss Jenn: staples from Old Letters lil kit


:::::::::::::::::Copernicus' Secret

I, thoroughly, enjoyed reading this presentation of Copernicus' life by Jack Repcheck. The flow was even through the book and never had the "dull" stigma of history biographies. The snippets of first hand documents was enough to reflect the attitudes of the times about which he was writing. Copernicus was a Canon in the Catholic church and an astronomer. This combination of religion and science remains a volatile combination to this day. Copernicus did not have a problem marrying the two, so to speak, because he found God in the perfection of the mathematics and design.
"In the preface Copernicus boldly asserts his theory that the earth moves around the sun, but he also states that the fear of being "hooted off the stage drome me to almost abandon a work already undertaken"." p. 168 I really like how Repcheck summed up Copernicus, "...it all started with one obscure man who lived in a backwater place, worked by himself with primitive instruments and labored as few had before him with no direct gain. He was an original..." p 196.

::::::::::::::::::::::::My Next Book::::::::::



I love Paula Deens laugh and her personality!

Smiles, Y'ALL!

7 comments:

poohgirlMD said...

hi! just passing by from DST! you have a great blog here and gorgeous layouts too! :)

Anonymous said...

Great layout - the cake looks yummy!

Helena said...

Aww, that cake is cute! I like the clouds. Fun layout, too!

That does look like an interesting book.

Anonymous said...

I love the cake! I think it looks just great, the Paula Deen book looks interesting too!

ChrissyW said...

LOVE that friend page - it's SO so SO cute!! (visiting from the DST blogtrain)

Carol said...

Oh Victoria, I so just want to stick my finger in all that white icing goodness that are the clouds. YUMMO!!! It looks delicious.

As for Paula Deen, I remember seeing her on Oprah a few times, and in particular her story as to how she got where she is today. She's a fascinating lady with a very infectious laugh.

Anonymous said...

Eve is certain a hard taskmaster. I know she is in charge when she is at her Granny's home. Your cake looks wonderful! The biography of Copernicus does sound very interesting. You always find the best books.
Of course, I love Paula Deen. A lady at church said I remind her of Paula Deen - I loved it!
Can't wait for your review.