Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Well, I suppose this is my inaugural post. It is rather daunting to try to record your thoughts, but I would rather write them down than have them completely lost in a quagmire that is the recesses of my brain!

I think my last good sleep was about 12 years ago. My oldest son being 11 1/2 that would probably be spot on for the time. I have always been a night owl due to spending summers with my Mama Doris in Phenix Ciy, Alabama. We would stay and watch Johnny Carson during the week, and on Saturdays I would watch Saturday Night Live. (I didn't understand Father Guido Sarducci until I was about 15). I would stay up and watch the B horror movies from England they would often show very late before the stations signed off and went to static (anyone remember static?). If I couldn't find a t.v. show to watch I would read one of the several mystery books that my mom gave me, i.e. Nancy Drew (the 1955 series), Kay Blair Mysteries, or Trixie Belden. I also liked to read anything by Agatha Christie.
-------

I've been playing around with some fun new digital scrapbooking elements by Mo Jackson and Maya. Hopefully I will have something to post later today. My first priority is to get Aaron started on his math work for the morning and then start his history assignment. I really like the books written by Joy Hakim for the history lessons. We are working on the 1950s through the 60s, so we will be discussing Civil Rights and the difficulties in America after having sent people to fight for freedom when we weren't honoring freedom here.

------

I also hope to load Myst V, End of Ages on the computer later today. I got hooked on playing the Myst series last year while listening to my DH and my DS working out all of the various clues. I was annoyed at them for the time they were putting into the games, but when I paid attention to what they were doing the games sucked me in. My youngest daughter really got into Myst IV. She would wake up every morning and ask if we could save Yeesha (the young girl character in the game). She hated when we went to Spire (a world within the game) because the music was appropriately sinister. She would ask me to leave that world and go to the beach world called Haven that had nice monkeys. I hear this last game doesn't stack up to the preceding ones in the series, but it was on clearance at Target for $9.98, so I figured what the heck!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Torie,
Great job! I know how tough it is to gather your thoughts and post them. Keep up the good work. Mom and I are quite proud of you - as always. See you this week, or on-line.
Love Grampa' Jim