Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Steven Spielberg, Where Are You Hiding?

That is what Michael and I were thinking when Noah and Eve sat down to breakfast wearing their 3D glasses. At some point, they decided they wanted to watch "Shark Boy and Lava Girl" and I guess this was the pre-movie breakfast gala.


Life is really what happens when your busy making plans!


::::::::::::::::::President Hinkley::::::::::

passed away on Sunday evening with family by his side. He gave countless years of service to others. He was loved by a faithful wife and their marriage was one of devotion from both sides. A life well lived, indeed!

See Michael's thoughts on President Hinkley's passing here.


::::::::::::::::::Princess Academy




We just finished this book by Shannon Hale. This time it was Rachel perched by my shoulder to keep whispering insistently, "Keep reading!" We finished the last three chapters Sunday evening. The book is about Miri Larendaughter and the people of Mount Eskel. They are quarriers of Linder and use quarry speech to communicate over the loud sounds of their trade. Miri is to delicate to help in the quarry and doesn't feel she fits in with her people. She has burgeoning feelings for her best friend, Peder. One day the king's messenger arrives with the news that the future princess to the prince of Danland will be chosen from one of the girls from Mount Eskel and a Princess Academy will be instituted to prepare all of the eligible girls.
The theme of finding your place never gets old because it is a different story for everyone and what makes it comfortable to read is that there is a common thread woven through each of us to find our place. There is underlying jealousy and mistrust among the girls that keeps them from getting to safety during a later situation in the story. The suspenseful ending chapters and the resolution to the story is satisfying. A wonderful read!

:::::::::::::::::::Our Next Book::::::::

is also a Shannon Hale book titled, Goose Girl



From Kidsread.com
Anidori -Kiladra Talianna Isilee, Crown Princess of Kilendree spent the first years of her life listening to her aunt's incredible stories, and learning the language of the birds. Little knowing how valuable her aunt's strange knowledge would prove to be when she grew older. From the Grimm's fairy tale of the princess who became a goose girl before she could become a queen, Shannon Hale has woven an incredible, original and magical tale of a girl who must understand her own incredible talents before she can overcome those who wish her harm.

::::::::::::::::::::Math Night::::::::::

Michael took Noah, Eve and Aaron to the school for math night. Noah held a passport that recieved stamps for each completed activity. I thought it was cool that Eve and Aaron wanted to go with Noah. Rachel wasn't interested, so she stayed home and read a book. I was busy trying to create Wilton icing for my class tonight. Yikes! What a mess.

I need to go feed Eve and Aaron! Smiles!

2 comments:

klonghall said...

I'm so glad you loved "Princess Academy"! It was my favorite book that I read in 2006. I think every girl older than about 8 should read this book. I love the themes. You are right--they never get old.

I am a huge Shannon Hale fan. Her books are full of rich language and vivid details. I love the way she puts words together. I also loved "Goose Girl". The Full Cast Audio recording of the book is great--there is a cast of voices, not just a narrator. She has a great blog and website at www.sqeetus.com She's a great author-find!

I'm so glad your family likes the books I recommend. It makes me feel like my children's literature hobby (mild obsession) is useful for something more than my avoiding housework!

Gina.Maria said...

Good luck with your class! The book sounds lovely - I should check that out for my 9-year-old.