Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Saturday, August 01, 2009

Saturday


Michael, Rachel and I watched the movie 9 to 5, today. They had never seen it, but it is one of my favorite movies. One of my all time favorite movie lines is, "You're a sexist, egotistical, lying, hypocritical, bigot!" The dream scenes of how to kill Mr. Hart are so bizarre. My favorite character is played by Dolly Parton.








::::::::::Back to School Shopping:::::
We are mostly done shopping. The boys were, surprisingly, easy to shop for. The girls are in transitional sizes. Inbetweeners, so to speak. Rachel is being pumped with estrogen and her hips are making fittings hard. She is petite and should fit regular size, but she gets pants high-centered on her hip bones. We decided to skip jeans until the fall.




:::::::::::Sleep Overs and Scout Projects:::::

Aaron had two friends over last night and first thing this morning he had a clean up day at the Scout Hut. He kept falling asleep. After the clean up finished he took a very long nap at granny and grampa's house.

::::::::::Another Layout from the Gulfshores Trip:::



::::::::::Book Review:::::::::



This was a very enlightening book. I found it interesting to know what happens to our bodies after death and the choices available to you for what happens to your body. The author uses spots of humor to alleviate the awkwardness most of us feel when talking about death. I tend to laugh at inappropriate times simply because I'm uncomfortable with the situation. I laugh more when the feelings become more intense, so the tone of this book worked for me.

Mrs. Roach gave information on organ donation, body donation for scientfic research, plastination for display and education, cremation, freeze drying to become organic compost and bodies used for folk medicines. One injury analyst who works with the FAA on some cases gave some interesting information on where it might be safest to sit on a plane. "He says it's mostly common sense. Sit near an emergency exit. Get down low, below the heat and smoke. Hold your breath as long as you can, so you don't cook your lungs and inhale poisonous fumes. ...Prefers window seats because people seated on the aisle are more likely to get beaned with the suitcases that can come crashing through the overhead bin doors in even a fairly mild impact." (p.127)
Men tend to survive because they are stronger and can push others out of the way and make it to the exit doors. The analyst stated that he preferred to fly in First Class whenever he flew.

The author shared the point of view that you should state your wishes to your family, but if they find it too abhorrent, or hard to deal with emotional to let them know they can change your burial plans. They are alive and have to deal with the emotions, but you are not. I'm rather ambivalent. I think I like the organic compost idea. I find that when our pets have passed away we bury them under our favorite tree. It is nice and shady and the kids can play and climb on the other side. I would like to be parted out, if there is any usable stuff, first. I'm all for the idea that if I'm not going to be using it it might help someone else.

I thought this book was well written and add just the right bit of levity to something that will affect all of us at some time.


:::::::::::::::Volunteered:::::::::

I have been volunteered for a project that is coming up the first week in October. To try to be ready for this event, Michael drove me to Cake Art so I could sign up for Cake Art III. I will be learning to use fondant. I will also be learning how to make tiered cakes. The class starts in 2 days. The same instructor for my first 2 class will be doing this one. She is pretty cool. I'm looking forward to learning some new techniques.

:::::::::::::::Fundraiser for Scleroderma Research::::::

I was very excited that I got to fill in for my mom at the fundraiser in memory of Kathleen Basile. I sat with Jim's family, the Towheys. They are such a hoot. Kathleen's family put together an amazing evening of entertainment, food and prizes. I participated in the Silent Auction and won tickets for "Dialogue in the Dark".Dialogue in the Dark. Here is a blurb from the site, "DIALOG IN THE DARK’S visually impaired guides lead visitors on a journey through a series of darkened galleries created to replicate everyday experiences. Without familiar sight clues, visitors learn to “see” in a completely new way with their non-visual senses." Michael, Aaron, Rachel and I are going.
The Basiles have decided to make this fundraiser into an annual event. There will be options for people to golf at Chateau Elan, purchase dinner tickets, raffle tickets and participate in the Silent Auction. Keep your radars onfor this one.

2 comments:

JP2E said...

I am still recovering from this weekend. The fundraiser was really great, and the cleanup went well, as did the Eagle project.
Church and a nap should get me back on schedule in time for another work week.
Enjoy "dialogue", it is supposed to be very good. Loking forward to having the two youngest with us today...

Sue said...

Next year we will get tickets and take the children and enjoy the fund raiser and all the talented people at Holy Cross.
I loved having the children this weekend. We had lots of good times.
I am especially happy that you enjoyed going to the fundraiser.