Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Friday, April 02, 2010

Friday




This afternoon I drove Aaron over to my brother's school to ask about possible Eagle Scout projects. The director was so friendly and we got a glimpse of my brother, Denny, zooming by with his tray of food. The director said she had asked the teachers what they really needed and they all wanted benches for the outside of the classroom. They also wanted them polyurethane sealed and be able to be brought inside when needed. We talked about an adjacent walking and picnic area to the school and the improvements needed there. Aaron settled on the bench project. He took some notes and now has to find some examples for approval. My brother goes to a school for the mentally handicapped and the director thinks an opportunity to comfortable sit outside would be very beneficial.


Today I got a chance to feed the birds in my mom's neighborhood. I scooped up some writhing mealworms and put them in a bluebird feeding stand. I put the mealworm box away in the neighbors house and in that 2 minute span the bluebird fluttered in and started snacking. I sat on the end of my mom's driveway with the 2 year-old neighbor boy, Nathan, and we watched bluebirds, cardinals, bluejays, and a couple of other species of birds I didn't know. The weather was nigh unto perfect.

Here are a few of the layouts I completed for Noah's Pinewood Derby:
(most of the elements came from Kate Hadfield and CD Muckosky)









A New Book Review:


The chess game is officially complete with this 3rd installment of the dystopian trilogy by Westerfield. The book moved as quickly as the others. Tally is now a "special" Special. Her newest surgery makes her a formidable weapon in the struggle for her city to control the people.
Westerfield takes on the issues of conformity and individuality, along with nature conservancy. Here are a few of my favorite lines in the book:

"So Shay was the Boss, and obeying wasn;t really that bad. It was icier than thinking, which could get you all tangled up."

"That was the whole point of being special: You existed to make sure everyone else behaved, but that didn't mean you had to." (This reminds me of some politicians and religious leaders).

""It was bogus," Shay said. "I'd rather have a brain."
Tally sighed. She couldn't disagree-but having a brain hurt so much sometimes.""

"Thinking like a Special is partly just human nature. It doesn't take much convincing to make someone believe they're better than everyone else."

I was surprised by the ending, but I felt it was better than I had anticipated. I enjoyed the trilogy.


2 comments:

teacherninja said...

Love the car!

JP2E said...

You really enjoyed the mealworm project, and the kids got a big kick out of it as well. You were like a mama duck with her ducklings.
Pinewood derby was great with Noah, he does a good job of building things. Perhaps I can convince him to work on more projects with me in the future...