Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Monday, April 20, 2009

Watch Out for Parked Trucks!




I told Rachel I would take her book back to the library for her. As I was walking to the library, via the park, I started reading the first few pages. Admittedly, I am a fan of smart girl books. I love books about Nancy Drew and Trixie Belden, so This spy girl book piqued my interest. I had the cd copy of Matilda to reaturn, too. I dropped the cd off and kept the book. I was, surprisingly, able to avoid trees, tripping on roots or rocks. I even found another walker's car keys in the mulch on the wooded path. I caught up to her coming back to figure out where she had dropped them. I can't drive and read without feeling like I have to puke, but walking and reading...not so bad.

Some reading and walking tips:

1. walk on familiar terrain
2. always stop reading and pay attention in cross walks
3. if you are walking around a pond that often has Canada Geese check for goose poop as you walk
4. Don't be so engrossed in the book that you miss opportunities to find coins left on the ground (I didn't find any today, but you never know. Also, if you might find someone else's keys and you can be a good samaritan and return them).
5. When walking back home from the park watch out for parked trucks that weren't there when you were walking to the park (That happened to me, but I saw it just in time).
6. Don't get too frustrated reading the same few sentences about 3 times if you are walking through a rather curvy section of the park path.

After 6.5 miles of walking at a nice pace I am half way through the book. I told Rachel when she got home from school. She is so proud of me. I'll try and finish soon. She wants to go to the library to pick up the sequel that I told her about...insert Girl Squeal!

:::::::::::::::Family Camping:::::::

We took our family to Hard Labor Creek State Park for Family Camping with Eve's Girl Scout troop. Michael took us on a Geocaching expedition. The kids love to Geocache. The kids shared a tent and we tented right next to them. Eve adored the smores I helped her make. She let me have a bite. She helped her troop do the dinner dishes. The girls looked like an assembly line of Cinderellas.
The next day we went fishing. I used Rachel's pole to catch our only fish, so she said it was her catch...hmmmm... After lunch we took a nature walk on Brantley Trail. Rachel and Eve led the group to the Geocache and explained how it worked. Aaron wasn't feeling well, so Michael stayed with him while the girls and I went on the walk. Shortly after we got back Aaron threw up out of the car window. This is better placement than he usually makes. I got him a jr. Tylenol and something to drink. He rested for a bit. We cut things short after Eve, Noah and Rachel took the wagon ride around the park. Noah immediately declared the ride to be "BORING". The girls concurred. The kids are used to audio tours, or people who are historical reinactors like at Colonial Williamsburg. Being towed around by a pickup truck just doesn't make the grade.
Aaron did fine on the way home and was the first in the tub.

Photos to come. Smiles!

3 comments:

Sue said...

I wish I could walk with you every day. That would be so good. You are definitely a multi tasker. I am always impressed. The camping trip sounds like a real success. Grandpa and I really missed y'all. IT is TOOOOO empty without you. I had withdrawals. I look forward to big hugs this weekend.

Chocolate Cat said...

My daughter got this book for Christmas and really enjoyed it. Although I try to read what she does it's one I haven't read yet. I'm now planning to read it while walking the dog tomorrow and yes I'll watch out for parked cars!!!

Michael Taylor said...

"I can't drive and read without feeling like..."

Please do not attempt this anytime soon.

Books on CD are really a much safer alternative.