Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Happy Born Day:


Birthday Boy kit and Doodle Arrows by Kate Hadfield, background paper by ClikChic Design Team, blue birds by Holly McCaig and Karla's Doodles


::::::::::::::::Girls' Night Out::::::::::::
Michael freed me from the children for the evening, so I called up my mother and she agreed to accompany me to a dinner and a movie. We did a quick stop at Moe's, a psuedo Mexican fast food place, and grabbed some dinner. Then, we went to see Music and Lyrics with Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore. I love to be in the theatre in time to watch the previews for up coming movies and this is one I am really looking forward to seeing: Amazing Grace's movie site. The movie is about the British slave trade and the background to the song Amazing Grace. The cast and film look amazing! I plan to take Aaron and Rachel to see the film, too. Another intriguing preview was for the movie Fracture with Sir Anthony Hopkins and Ryan Gosling. Back to Music and Lyrics...


from the start of the film my mother and I were laughing. There is a wonderful and absurd 80's pop style video with Hugh Grant and 4 other guys as the band "POP". The clothes were hilarious and the acting was, appropriately, cheesy! Hugh Grant's quick quips and one liners just flow throughout the film. So, here are a few criteria you may want to use if you wonder about plunking down money for this flick:

1. Did you love MTV when they actually played Music Videos? (that would be in the late 80's)
2. You enjoy quick humor, a.k.a. one-liners
3. You love it when Drew Barrymore combines flaky character traits with brillance and sincerity
4. Ultimate death of plants by drowning doesn't turn you off.
5. You have a protective streak for musical instruments.
6. You need to laugh.

::::::::::::::::Surgery Day:::::::::::::

Spencer, my sweet nephew, is having his first surgery to repair is cleft lip, today. He will have an overnight stay at the hospital. I hope all goes well! It is nerve racking to have the surgery team come get your child. I remember it vividly from when Noah had to have surgery to repair his hydrocele.


::::::::::::::Empathy::::::::::
Noun: 1. Identification with and understanding of another's situation, feelings, and motives.

This morning as I was frantically getting Noah ready for school because he wanted to make sure the bathroom was clean (he had cleaned it very nicely before going to bed)and I broke my thumb nail. His shoes are a pain to wiggle on to his heal and the thumb nail sheered at a funky angle. I said, "Ouch! I broke my nail!" Noah replied, "I know how it is to break a nail. I have broken a nail before." It sounded so mature and I felt, momentarily, like I was in the presence of some self-help guru.


:::::::::::::::Camping Trip:::::::::::::::
Michael has the photos on his laptop, so as soon as he puts them on my computer I will show some photos of our frigid camping experience. Luckily, Michael made some awesome Dutch oven meals. He made chicken chili, Pineapple Upside Down Cake, and Silver turtles, which had hamburger, onions, potatoes and carrots.

No comments: