Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Monday, February 05, 2007

Mom's Being Pulled Over!



Text: The once boisterous children murmured these words as the park policeman with flashing lights turned around and pulled me over. We had just driven in the park entrance for Carlsbad Caverns and had not been in the park for more than 2 minutes. I wondered what the speed limit was for the park because I hadn’t paid any attention to it when we drove in just moments ago. The kids were worried that I was to be carted off momentarily to the local jail. Michael and I hushed them that all would be okay. I readied my driver’s license and proof of insurance. A park officer with a very stern and grumpy demeanor came to the passenger side of the car because there was no really place to pull over to get out of the flow of traffic. He asked me,” Do you know how fast you were going?” That wasn’t a trap I was going to fall for, so I replied, “No.” He stated that I was driving at 50 miles an hour, which is 20 miles over the posted limit. He asked me if I had an excuse for driving so fast in the park. I replied enthusiastically, “This place is so COOL! I was just enjoying looking around. It looks like Dr. Seuss designed it!” He kind of scowled and said he would be back in a moment. He went to run my information through the database. The kids were still nervous. I knew I had a clean record and up to date insurance, so I hoped for leniency. After 5 minutes he came back and said I was lucky because he didn’t have time to write up a warning and didn’t want to bother with the paper work. He had to rush to the park’s visitors’ center for a different problem. The kids were elated and I was happily surprised. We followed continued up to the Visitors’ Center ourselvesgoing the speed limit, of course! Later that day during the evening bat flight the same officer was there giving the crowd a stern warning about “No Flash Photography!” It was then we gave him the moniker”The Enforcer”.

Credits: Hippity Hoppy Contest

Kate Hadfield's Arrows and Hardware Freebie, Pipe Cleaner Arrows, Doodled Paper Vehicles,
Date Stamp: Mindy Wade
Gina Miller's Funky Basic Black Alpha, Note This kit
Felt Sunshine: Tiff Brady
background paper from Strawberry kit by Sandra Boddington
Font: Punch Label, Farrah,
Exclamation: Sara Carling's Amelie



:::::::::::::::::Grandpa's Pancakes::::::::::::

Rachel was cooking up a storm at my parents' house on Saturday. Check out this cool blog about the day: Click ME!

1 comment:

Michael Taylor said...

I think you may have set some kind of a record for consecutive pull-overs without actually getting a ticket.