Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Girls on Film...

SOOOOO, do I have you humming that famous Duran Duran tune? I know I am! Anyway, this post has nothing to do with Duran Duran, but a Japanese animator. Michael and I have had several conversations about Hayao Miyazaki and his use of strong, young, female characters. This morning before school starts Aaron and Eve are watching "Castle in the Sky". I know I've posted about Miyazaki before, but I'm continually impressed by his work. When we watch the movies the boys enjoy the stories, as much as, the girls. Alongside the female lead is often a faithful and honorable young man. The stories are fantastical (is that a word?), but speak to common struggles and choices. I read this and found it interesting:
Midnight Eye interview with Hayao Miyazaki. Here is an excerpt from one of the Q & A portions: "With that very personal connection you have with your characters, how do you explain that the main characters in most of your films are young girls?

That would be far too complicated and lengthy an answer to state here, so I'll just suffice by saying that it's because I love women very much (laughs)."

Here are some of the films we enjoy as a family:






I took Eve and Aaron for hair cuts, yesterday, so here are the results:

One well accessorized pirate!


Eat your heart out, Jack Sparrow!



Doodle Pirates and Doodle Frames by Kate Hadfield


doodle frame and doodle bird by Holly McCaig
::::::::::::::::Centenarian::::::

My great Aunt Wilma turns 100 years-old this week! She doesn't have a great short-term memory, so she never remembers who I am, but she can give you a complete history for last 80 odd years. She is doing a far cry better in the memory department than me and I don't have as much to remember. Happy Birthday, Aunt Wilma!!!!

:::::::::::::::::The Handwriting is on the...::::::::
wall! No, not really, but it is in the computer.

2 comments:

janna said...

Happy Birthday to your Aunt Wilma!

I spent the afternoon with my 95 year old great aunt Hazel. :)

And love the font and the doodle frames!

Michael Taylor said...

Miyazaki's use of girls is especially remarkable considering he's Japanese. Traditionally in Japan the women open doors for the men and you still see many women riding in the backs of cars even if it is just the husband and the wife. Having a strong leading woman goes against the traditional grain.