Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Monday, April 02, 2007

I Can Tell Spring is Here Because...

I have
Poison Ivy. I have it on the backs of my legs and above where my gloves didn't cover my arm. It is a relatively mild case. I had poison ivy really bad about 2 years ago, so this is just a mild itchy walk in the, proverbial, park!





Primitive Scrapbook and Primitive Photography by Mo Jackson, Doodles by Ida, Date Stamp from Simply Irresistable kit by Gina Cabrera, Font: DB Michael, Wonton
::::::::::::Excerpts from The Phantom Tollbooth

pp. 167 & 168:

"If everything you say is true," added Tock.
"Then, without a doubt," Milo concluded brightly, "you must be Canby."

"Of course, yes, of course," the man shouted. "Why didn't I think of that? I'm as happy as can be." Then he quickly sat down, put his head in his hands, and sighed. "But I'm also as sad as can be."
"Now will you tell me where we are?" asked Tock as he looked around the desolate island.
"To be sure," said Canby; "you're on the Island of Conclusions. Make yourself at home. You're apt to be here for some time."
"But how did we get here?" asked Milo, who was still a bit puzzled by being there at all.
"You jumped, of course," explained Canby. "That's the way most everyone gets here. It's really quite simple; every time you decide something without having a good reason, you jump to Conclusions whether you like it or not. It's such an easy trip to make that I've been here hundreds of times."

....to get away from the Island of Conclusion you have to swim through the Sea of Knowledge. This is what Canby said about it: (p.169 & 170)

"...you can swim all day in the Sea of Knowledge and still come out completely dry. Most people do."

....just a little later...

"But from now on I'm going to have a very good reason before I make up my mind about anything. You can lose too much time jumping to Conclusions."


:::::::::::::::::Conference:::::::::::::

We watched Conference over at my parents' house. The talks were inspiring. I have several to go back and highlight when the hard copies are available. Elder Holland, President Faust, Elder Uchtdorf, and Elder Eyring were just a few stand outs.

Smiles!

No comments: