Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

That Was Unexpected!

If you guessed that title had to do with Noah you have read my blog a few times. If you didn't know let me tell you about our trip to the doctor's office yesterday with a short regression, to clarify, to Sunday. Noah's substitute Primary teacher noticed he kept fiddling with his right ear. She said I needed to check that out. I asked Noah if it was bothering him and he replied that it was just itching. On Monday morning he came downstairs with a bit of a whimper saying his ear did hurt. I sent him to school with a note to inform the teacher I was going to make a doctor's appointment as soon as they opened and to keep him out of any activity that might hurt his ear, like physical education. I was able to make a sick visit appointment for 2:15pm. Since Michael had a dental cleaning appointment he got off work early and said he would pick Noah up at school. I called at 2:00pm. to have them notify the teacher. When Michael got to school Noah was at the neighboring high school watching a performance by the drama class. He wasn't back until 1:50pm and it takes a full 30 minutes, on a good day, to reach the clinic. I called and was able to get a new appointment at 5:15pm.

...at the doctor's office...

Noah had no fever, but when the doctor put the (*edited)otoscope in the ear canal Noah quickly, but gently moved the doctor's hand away. We new that his ear must be pretty sensitive. It appeared to be a middle ear infection and he asked if Noah had been swimming lately, but he had not.

...Now the LEFT ear...

the doctor said there appeared to be something SQUARE in Noah's ear canal. We asked him if it was a Lego and the doctor said a Lego would be too large. Noah denied having stuck anything in his ear. MIND YOU...this comes from a kid who stuck a rubber band up his nose (both nostrils) to see if it would fit. One side was fine, but it got stuck in the other...and GUESS WHAT...not even a Lego sword could pry it out. GO FIGURE. This is also the same kid who wrapped a cord from the wood blinds around his neck when he was 3 and jumped off the couch because he was being Superman. Luckily the blinds gave way and he was left with a slight rope burn for a couple of weeks.

...back to our story...

So the nurse is sent in to irrigate the ear canal. AH, the 3rd time was the charm. A little white square shaped object came out. The doctor returned to check what it was. He took wooden tongue depressor and mashed it. He said this is definitely not wax. It feels like rubber.

...The CONFESSION...MAYBE...

Noah then has an EPIPHANY..."Maybe it happened when I had an eraser stuck to my finger nail and I scratched my ear. Maybe."

The doctor said there appeared to be little bits of the eraser still in the ear, so he gave me a homemade recipe of water and baking soda to squirt in the ear each day to wash it out.

...Positive Outcome...

1. Noah can still hear...listening is different (as we all know)
2. We got to see Dr. Pugel's get photographs of his trip to the Mediterranean and some with his new macro lens hanging on the wall.
3. Noah gets to take amoxicillan in his favorite flavor...(this one is kind of weird)
4. Though our wallet is depleted by 45 dollars from the doctor visit and cost of pharmaceuticals we have a priceless Noah story to share. :)


:::::::::::::::Old Pictures...New Layout::::



Credits: Dawn Inskip at NDISB, TTS, SSS
Luisa Leandro at Sophia Sarducci

Darcy Baldwin: DJB DAWN at The Digichick
Kate Hadfield: Doodle Alpha
miscellanous font: CK Cursive

:::::::::::::::Ballet:::::::

Eve's recital is quickly approaching. She is very excited! If you are interested in attending please let me know and I will email the particulars. It is an evening performance, no cost.

Later gators...I must make waffles.

* This is too funny. Someone pointed out my error in using the term "Oscilloscope" for what was stuck in Noah's ear, when it should have been "Otoscope". Thanks for pointing that out and I won't show Noah because he might just want to stick that in his ear when we get the rest of the eraser bits out! :) Oh, and YOU do realize I'm NUTS! :)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd freak out too is somebody tried to put an oscilloscope in my ear. Those things are the size of microwave ovens.
http://cyclotron.tamu.edu/sjygroup/external/Pictures/MainPagePics/HiRes/Runs/Oscilloscope.JPG

Anonymous said...

Oh my! That makes my household look calm - worst my kids have done so far is stick cheerios up their noses.

Cute layout!

Anonymous said...

ROFL I am dying here. Oh my goodness. I shouldn't laugh. Oh, I shouldn't laugh. I am rolling. Oh my goodness. That is so something Katiana would do. (She's my child that is constantly putting things up her nose.) I'm so glad it came out. Oh my goodness. What would we do without our kids? LOL

Great layout!

Anonymous said...

Granny Sue and Grandpa Jim definitely want to come to Eve's recital! We are so excited.

Noah, of course, keeps us laughing so much. He is an adventure all by himself. I am also glad I didn't get a staple in my foot. I know it had to be Noah who sprinkled them over the bedroom carpet.

Amanda said...

OMG, I'm so glad my 6yo isn't home to read your bog. He might get some ideas he hasn't already tried LOL. As a side note, dont' let him stick raisins up his nose. The moisture makes them expand. As my oldest's godmom LOL.

Anonymous said...

Oh me oh my. Our 15 month old ALWAYS has something she shouldn't have, or is on something she shouldn't be on, or has done something with the remote to make the DirecTV box do something it has never done... Thank God she hasn't discovered her many body cavities yet, but I figure we'll have to watch out when she does. SOunds like Noah is an adventure!
Thanks for sharing, that was funny!

Sarah C. (my4hens) said...

OMG LOL!! What an ordeal, first can i say what a fantastic blogger you are. I was COMPLETELY entertained, not that your here for my entertainment but wow you are just excellent at getting your pov across!! I am so sorry that you had to go through all that and as a mother of two boys myself I can relate much better then I wish I could admit LOL!! Hope he keeps things out of his ears and nose long enough for you to catch a break honey, you sound like you deserve a vacation!

Anonymous said...

You lead a drama free life compared to my zoo! Wow!

DawnMarch said...

I've never had my kids stick stuff in the ears or noses, thank goodness! I think I'd freak out!!! Glad to hear it all got straightened out!

klonghall said...

That is a classic story! That Noah! Bridger once stuck a dime up his nose, with the same reason that Noah gave for the rubber band, "I just wanted to see if it would fit." Yep, it did. Luckily, Donnie got it out with tweezers. (After some real "weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth" on Bridger's part. I think once the dime was up there, it really freaked him out. I was not sympathetic at all.)