Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Friday, May 02, 2008

Lions, and Tigers, and Bears...

...Oh, my I had such a fun time with Noah and his 2nd grade class! We went on a "Night Crawler" field trip to the Atlanta Zoo. We slept in the education building. We were able to pet a chinchilla (so cute and amazingly soft), a tortoise, a boa constrictor and an African millipede. We were shown the kitchen where all of the food is prepared and learned about the different dietary needs of the animals. I liked the Powerade, fruit cycle that was made for the gorillas, but they didn't offer us a taste. I wasn't so fond of the fish cycle for the otters, or the mouse cycles for the cats...not so tasty! We trekked around the park to the reptile house and used flashlights with red bulbs, so we didn't disturb the reptiles, too much.

In the morning, we toured the reptile house again, saw the elephants practicing their lessons with their trainer, the orangutans playing, the gorillas playing after breakfast, the pandas munching bamboo, cute little Muntjacks, lemurs, Golden Lion Tamarins free-ranging about on the ropes, and some really cool birds. The Zoo's, newest exhibit, is the naked mole rats. The have, almost, a hive mentality. They will work out who the queen is for their colony and she will be the only one allowed to have babies. They use their teeth to sense things around them and they kill vegetation because they eat the roots.
The children were pretty well behaved. There was the normal "he touched me", "She pushed me", and Noah got kicked in the ribs by a boy being silly. The boy apologized right away and Noah accepted the apology through streams of tears. All was to rights quickly. I was the shoelace monitor. Their was one little boy that must have been tying his laces wrong because they kept coming undone. The kids were so polite and would excitedly call out, "Ms. Taylor, come see this!" Noah was really cool, and not clingy. He was simply happy to have me along. He made sure he saved the seat next to him on our bus ride to and from the zoo. I did have a hitchhiker from the zoo. It was a jumping spider. Noah noticed him on my shoulder. I flicked him off and he went into the crack or our bus seat. Noah rode the rest of the trip sitting as far forward as possible.

:::::::::::::::::::::::Then It Was:::::

back to the elementary school for Kindergarten registration. Eve was excited to see two friends from her preschool class there, as well. She played with Fiona and Jayla after she finished her assessement with Mrs. Barclay (we love this Kindergarten teacher). We talked for a bit after the assessment. She was a superb teacher for Rachel and Noah. Eve got flustered when she lost site of me and began to cry. Luckily, one of the moms helping with registration knows me and pointed her to me right away. I hugged her and soothed her. Her friends had gone home while I was chatting and I was standing on the opposite side of the play area.

Earlier in the day my mom had taken Eve to school since I was at the zoo. Then, she and Grandpa Jim returned to read a couple of Scottish tales and my mom played the chanter for the Eve's class and the neighboring class. I heard happy reports from, Eve, a teacher at the school and both grandparents!

:::::::::::::Dawn Inskip C.T.::::::::



brand new collab by dawn inskip and heather manning ° evitangel °


also Embossed Alpha set 2 by Dawn Inskip


NDISB: http://www.ndisb.com/store/index.php...acturers_id=58


Treasures to Scrap: http://digistore.treasurestoscrap.co...acturers_id=20


ScrapScandiStyle: http://shop.scrapscandistyle.com/ind...acturers_id=43


www.digiscrapping.net


Font: DJB MESSIE AMANDA by Darcy Baldwin at www.digichick.com


Brick overlay by Jenna Desai



:::::::::::::::Karen Lewis and Darcy Baldwin::::
Check out The Digichick for some cool stuff. Also, with National Scrapbook Day, Digital Freebies is having a 50% off sale.


:::::::::::::A Happy Birthday::::::

My mom and stepmom gave me gift certificates to Cake Art for some more fun design classes, I got great cards and phone calls from family and friends. I got to hangout with my youngest boy at the zoo, got beautiful flowers from my hubbie, went out to a Mexican restaurant for dinner with my mom, Jim and the kids. The restaurant folks sang to me and presented me with a sopapilla with a green candle...too cool!

::::::::::::In-Gathering:::::::::::

I'm off in a little while to a Girl Scout trip with Rachel and a gaggle of giddy girls. This should be an adventure!

3 comments:

Jen said...

Wow, that zoo trip sounds amazing! I would have loved that field trip when I was a kit. Heck I'd love to do that now!

klonghall said...

That's way more info than I got from Donnie and Aiden about the zoo trip. Thanks for filling in the blanks. It sounded like a great trip. My guys were so tired last night, though.

Happy Birthday! It sounds like you had an exceptional day.

Julie P. (babyofmine) said...

Happy Birthday!! :D

I am glad your dad didn't have a heart attack, but I hope they figure out what caused his pain. {{hugs}}

That zoo trip sounded fun! :D