Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Feeling Melancholy

On Monday, I checked my driver's side mirror for a spider web. There had been a web, most every day, for 3 weeks. When I first saw the orb weaver working on its intricate circular web I thought to flick it off with a stick. My fascination for the hard work and natural beauty of the web won out, though. The fastidious little brown, orb-weaver would create a web about 6 p.m., then have the web eaten and the window left clean the next morning. Talented and tidy...such a great combination. There was a night, last week, when I needed to make a run to the grocery store and I saw the busily moving body diligently at work for the evening. I just smiled and jumped in Michael's truck for the trip. The poor spider did have to make a few 40 mile an hour rides to my mom's house and home. The kids would worry all the way if the spider would be okay. I found myself hoping to get a stop light so the little one would have the time to scurry back to the safety of the side mirror housing. Sometimes it would, sometimes it would just set about repairing the strands that kept it tied to the car.
Well, on Monday I came out of the grocery store and pulled out of the parking lot and the spider's little body tumbled from the mirror housing. Since I was in the middle of the road I needed to keep moving to avoid an accident. I watched as the silk thread snapped and my little spider companion blew away. I figured it had died a few days before, so I wasn't surprised. I just felt an overwhelming feeling of melancholy for this little, natural artist that put a pretty web for us to be dazzled by, then clean it up so we didn't look like trail trash driving around town. So long, my eight-legged pal!

::::::::::::::::::Picture Day:::::::::::


I'm going to help at the elementary school for picture day. It should be a day of organized chaos. I hope to come out smiling in the end, too!

::::::::::::::Another Layout for Noah's Baptism Book::::::

This is a photo of Uncle Benjamin trying to help Rebecca depress the spring on the pogostick, but she was just too light. He tried jumping on the pogostick, but the 80 lb. weight limit kept him from having any fun.
Credits: Jacque Larsen's Frog Legs, Fonts: DJB LIZ and DJB Julianna in a Hurry Darcy Baldwin, Kate Hadfield's Doodle Frame

::::::::::::::::::::::Yearbook::::::::

I've been working on learning the program for the school yearbook. The learning curve isn't too bad. There is some functions that I would like to work differently, but it is okay, so far. I have been asking around for some one with a better camera to take the 5th grade photo, or let me borrow, but no luck, yet. I have about 3 weeks, so I hope to have it figured out soon.

Off to school! Take care.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance that I should have been by any epaulet I could have worn.

Michael Taylor said...

So many of us have lost the ability to even notice the efforts of each other let alone the efforts of the smaller beings we share this world with. Your ability to commiserate with the struggles of others was one of the first things to attract me to you.
I love you.