Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Saturday, August 30, 2008

So Much Time, So Little To Do...

STRIKE THAT! Reverse...


::::::::::::::Nutty Noahisms:::::::
This is what Rachel, Noah's big sister, posted to her blog:

"I was downstairs and Noah was playing one of his silly games and he was losing in a battle with some other player and he suddenly gets a really good move and shouts "You wanta play Hardball HUH I'll give ya HardBAll." Well it just shows what an interesting little boy he really is. Very Freakish actually. Strange Strange boy..."

Here is the comment I left her:

"One of my favorites was last week when the two of you were playing Monopoly and you asked him if he wanted the "Get Out of Jail Free" card and he responded with, "I'll take my chances with Juvey!" In that Clint Eastwood voice. What a goof ball! It's fun to share those nutty Noah moments, Thanks!"

:::::::::::::Yet, Another Noah's Baptism Layout::::::


::::::::::::::::::Book Review:::::::::::::


This book was written in stream of consciousness style. The story is about a single day in the life of Clarissa Dalloway who is throwing a party in the evening. There are a few characters that are fleshed out in the book. The one that I found the most intensely interesting and deep was the returned soldier, Septimus Warren Smith. Septimus goes to war to preserve his ideals of Shakespeare and the woman he loves and comes back a man hollow and destroyed. The repetition of the phrase, "...he could not feel" was so incredibly sad. The broken man who could not be made whole. The book was hard, for me, to get into for the first few pages, but once I got my feet wet, so to speak, I felt like I was on a tour with an orb weaver as my guide. She revealed how the different characters were interwoven with Clarissa's life and I found their descriptions very fascinating. Woolf's imagery is quite interesting with such word pairings as, "Sinister serenity," in regards Miss Kilman's character. Clarissa is a rather pessimistic, snob, but she also possesses charm that help balance out her character and keeps her from being a boring one-dimensional person like the rest of the characters fleshed out in this book.
Make sure to have a bookmark handy because there are no chapters. There paragraph indentions to give a visual page break. Overall, this book was well worth my time.



If you enjoy metaphors, similes and quotes you will enjoy this collection. The front cover with the fish on a bicycle is such a fabulous image. I particularly like the simile by Samuel Butler, "Books are like imprisoned souls till someone takes them down from a shelf and frees them." Another quote by the same person makes me think of the pages I put together for my kids, "Every person's work, whether it be literature or music or pictures or architecture or anything else, is always a portrait of that person."
I like this one about recognizing nature, "To a person uninstructed in Natural History, his country or seaside stroll is a walk through a gallery filled with wonderful works of art, nine-tenths of which have their faces turned to the wall." Thomas H. Huxley
This quote about personal responsibility, or the lack there of, "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." by Stanislaw Lec
One last one, "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overallsw and looks like work." Thomas Alva Edison

::::::::::::::::Gratitude:::::::::::::::

We received the results of the Criterion Referenced Comptency Test, on Friday. Noah and Rachel both did very well. The score that stood out the most, to me, was the score Noah had for his "Reading" portion. He answered all the questions correctly. My thoughts went to gratitude for Mrs. Brown who helped Noah in 1st grade with a "Reading Recovery" program for kids struggling with reading. She helped give him the tools for sounding out words and making sense of how the sentences work. He absorbed everything she taught and enjoyed his time with her. I appreciated her observations and encouragement of Noah. I will be forever grateful for her abilities and the positive impact on my son. The kids look forward to baking some brownies for her this week.

Take care, all!

2 comments:

Simantha said...

both your and Rachel's comments about Noah made me laugh, what a darling!
Now i want to read that book!, do they have one online?
I am trying to get my little one to recognize and write letters and numbers, thats such a challenge, because she is so so moody. What i love about the whole experience is the look of triumph when she succeeds in making her scrawls resemble letters. I am so thankful that her teachers (once she starts school) will have more tools and patience to help her.

Carol said...

Very cute Noah comments. It would be fun to gather them all up and put on a layout. Well done to Noah and Rachel for the test.