Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Friday, November 07, 2008

Weekend...Celebration Time is Here...



::::::::::::Cotton Candy Party::::

I held a Cotton Candy contest at the elementary school for each grade level's homeroom that purchased the most yearbooks. I bumped into Eve's former preschool teacher at the library on Tuesday and she offered to help me with the party on Wednesday. Crystal is not just a great helper, but she is one of the funniest people. We made up several bags, then she insisted she buy me lunch. She told me I was a cheap date. She stayed with me for 4 hours to make up the bags and distribute them. We were both covered in bits of sugary floss. I had a bee light on my chest, which prompted Crystal to wave frantically and call out, "It's on your b**b, it's on your b**b!" Luckily, there were no classes out in the courtyard at the time. I just brushed him off and laughed. Rachel was able to come help out during her lunch period and recess time. We made the original pink flavored floss and the favorite of most of the kids, blue raspberry. The kids were polite and appreciative. We were able to give the teachers some and the head custodian, Ms. Peggy. Ms. Peggy is one of the most cheerful and helpful people I've met.


This flair is so true. I just had to post it.

:::::::::::::::::::Current Books::::::::::::

I am only on the second chapter of this book, but the writing is smooth and pulls you right in. This book helps me imagine what it would be like to be born into Chinese culture and seen as a worthless girl and the only way to show any value is by a "beautifully" shaped foot from footbinding. I know there is some crazy stuff that different cultures do in the name of beauty and defining self worth, but I feel extremely blessed to have been born in these times and in the United States. I have felt my wide feet are quite the curse when looking for shoes, but I'm feeling a keen appreciation for them after reading about the procedure for footbinding.
Information on Foot Binding on Wikipedia



We are enjoying a new story from The Mysterious Benedict Society. The kids are solving new clues and my kids keep interjecting what they think the answer is before I can finish the paragraph.

::::::::::::::::::New Teacher::::::

Rachel has had a substitute teacher for these first weeks of school while her regular teacher recovers from chemotherapy treatment. So, the regular teacher has started to work this week and Rachel received this personal comment on the bottom of the farewell letter from her substitute teacher: "Rachel is an exceptional student. She is always cheerful, and very kind to others. She has many strengths, but the main strength that stands out is her creative story writing ability."
I have felt so blessed to have this teacher in Rachel's life and I love her genuine concern for all of her students. I can only guess at the other sweet comments she left to the other students.

::::::::::::::::::::Perfect Weather:::::::

The last couple of days have been wowwee wow wow gorgeous! I has able to walk 6 miles yesterday and today. I just have to remember to sunscreen my arms, throw on my ball cap, and have a back up battery for the mp3 player. Good stuff. My left knee is giving me a bit of a problem and my right foot, too. Just keep on keepin' on, though.

Take care!

2 comments:

Carol said...

What a lovely note from Rachel's teacher. So special.

And I looooooove cotton candy ... or fairy floss as we call it. YUM! I love the way your tongue feels when you're eating it. :-)

20Birds said...

the foot binding photo even grossed out my boy and he does not gross out easily... we have had cozy weather perfect for soups and hot cocoa but i have been walking still