Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Monday, September 04, 2006

Sad News:

Today, while I was substituting in primary, my husband asked me to step outside of the classroom to tell me that Noah's friend, Tommy, had passed away from inoperable cancer. Tommy has been through so much in his, all too short, life. My mind and heart went to his parents. They have done everything in their power and as a ward we have prayed and fasted. So, what did we learn? We learned that one young boys life is important and has a lasting effect on our humanity. We learned compassion for him and for his family. We learned to pray for the doctors and researchers that they might be led to a better understanding of what to do to help him and others. We learned to love one another better. Do I believe and know he is not suffering...Yes...but, does it wrench my soul...yes. Noah teared up, but handled the news well. Rachel is extremely sensitive to death and wept for a long time, then would stop, then weep again. Aaron fears death to the point of sleepless nights. He came in last night crying because a character on a t.v. program died. His anxiety is tangible, so I went to his room and slept next to him and Rachel came in and slept on the trundle next to Noah. I contemplate what the kids ask and want to comfort them, but not necessarily shield them from the truth that we are mortal. I kiss them on top of the head and appreciate the warmth that emanates and give them a hug and I think how hollow not having them in my life would be. Each child is different and creates a different aspect to our family dynamic. One day they don't exist in your family, then they are born and it's as if they were always there.



Gina Cabrera's Lucky Star kit. Font: SJWoodbury, Heart from Just for Fun by Meredith Fenwick

3 comments:

Julie P. (babyofmine) said...

My heart goes out to Tommy's family. What a beautiful tribute to Tommy, this page is.

Anonymous said...

Victoria that is so sad, it would be so very hard to lose a child. Jess lost a little friend in primary school and we went through the same kind of emotions with her, it made her frighten for some time after that.

Robyn said...

Being the owner of a facility that sees several hundred children each week, I have known a few children who have passed away over the years. It is such a hard loss. Every death is but with children - especially so. Through reading your words, I can see that Tommy's death has brought you closer to his family and you are using the Lord to help in healing. Bless Tommy and his family. What a precious little angel he is.