Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Geekly Pleasures

:::::::::::::::::Court of Honor:::

Aaron conducted the meeting for Scouts. We had a pretty good turn out and the boys, Aaron's age got most of the merit badge and advancements. The slideshow ended up being finished on Michael's laptop because mine kept shutting off. The whole thing came together just fine. I used songs from Jack Johnson, U2, Jars of Clay and Switchfoot.
:::::::::::::::::Layouts:::::::::



This is the cake from lesson 4 of Wilton 1 cake decorating class. My mom was so kind to give me a gift certificate. My roses came out ruffled because my icing was too stiff, but my DH said he liked the shabby chic look.

Credits: Serenity Now by Anna Benjamin http://www.scrapbookgraphics.com/xcart/product.php?productid=20848&cat=0&page=1


Vintage Lace Alpha by Anna Benjamin


http://www.scrapbookgraphics.com/xcart/product.php?productid=20739&cat=0&page=1

Font: DJB Messie Amanda by Darcy Baldwin at The Digichick


:::::::::::::::::Podcasts::::::::

Michael has hooked me up with some cool podcasts for my daily walks. So far, I've listened to Astronomy Cast with Fraser Cain and Dr. Pamela Gay

Wave Particle Duality

Getting Around the Solar Systemand

Speaking of Faith with Krista Tippett:

Inside Mormon Faith

A History of Doubt

Here are some things from blogs of two awesome cyber gals:

From Carol's blog:

Righto. A bit of background, it apparently started at Smokey Mountain Breakdown and the rules are that you answer each of the five questions, then tag five bloggers to pass the meme to. Have them link back to you and to the original post as the source meme.


1. What food do you consider the best "date" food? In other words what meal or food item do you think is sexiest to eat in the company of someone you would like to look sexy around?

Any food you have to eat using chopsticks, because dexterity is sexy! :)

2. What well-known person would you like to share a meal with—with or without clothing. (saying whether or not clothes are involved is optional).

Well if the beach towel is big enough...I would love a sit down and share a meal with Russell Crowe. I would like to ask him about some of the movies he was in that I enjoy like "Master and Commander" and "Gladiator".

3. What does your perfect breakfast-in-bed look like? (Food AND the details, please. Candles? Music? Flowers? Hot tub? Dancing girls?

French Toast, Grits, Orange Juice on a Spring day with a cool breeze fluttering through open windows and the morning light streaming in. Birds happily chirping in the trees.

4. What do you consider the best application of whipped cream to be?

Whipped cream screams for a nice warm brownie and vanilla bean ice cream.


5. Oh-Gosh-No, Biff, the yacht is sinking! You are sent to the galley to retrieve the food. What luxury food items do you snatch first? The champagne? The caviar? Smoked Salmon? Truffles? Chocolate? Or something else?

The chocolate, as I rush quickly for the life jacket.



From Julie's blog prompt:

ONE WORD


answer with just one word...it's harder than you think...

1. Where is your cell phone? none
2 . Your significant other? hottie
3. Your hair? highlighted
4. Your mother? cool
5. Your father? busy
6. Your favorite thing? walking
7. Your dream last night? forgot
8. Your favorite drink? milk
9. Your dream/goal? Mini
10. The room you're in? living
11. Your ex? none
12. Your fear? falling
13. Where do you want to be in 6 years? Australia
14. Where were you last night? Scouts
15. What you're not? simple
16. Muffins? blueberry
17. One of your wish list items? lasik
18. Where you grew up? suburbs
19. The last thing you did? chauffeur
20. What are you wearing? sweats
21. Your TV? off
22. Your pets? ferret
23. Your computer? wonky
24. Your life? busy
25. Your mood? thoughtful
26. Missing someone? Granddaddy
27. Your car? Voyager
28. Something you're not wearing? earrings
29. Favorite Store? hardware
30. Your summer? sticky
31. Like someone? yes
32. Your favorite color? green
33. When is the last time you laughed? minutes
34. Do you cry a lot? no

Now it's your turn!


Smiles!

6 comments:

DawnMarch said...

Very pretty layout and WOW on that cake!

Aunrea said...

Absolutely beautiful cake!!! Love the layout too!

Anonymous said...

I love that cake! I'll come back when I have more time to answer that list of questions, as it sounds like fun!
thanks for sharing!
stella

Rose said...

Oh my. . . you mean I have to do those "tag your its?" Oh my. . . Thanks for the smiles. . your blog is fun!

Carol said...

First of all well done to Aaron and the badges and advancements. And well done to you too for the slideshow, I'm sure it was amazing.

The cake looks incredible, I'm in absolute awe.

Now as for grits in bed? Not sure what a grit is but gritty sheets sounds none too fun I'm thinking. (imagining gritty sand in my sheets)

Anonymous said...

I am sorry we missed the Court of Honor. I love to be there for Aaron. Grandps and I are so proud of him.
Please give the date of the next one so we will be sure to plan ahead for it.
I love the cake. It was beautiful.
PS. I miss him, too.