Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Testing, Testing 1,2,3...

::::::::::::::::Testing, Testing, and More Testing:::::

Noah, Rachel and Aaron are all testing this week for CRCT. Aaron's test site is close to the house, so that is nice. The check-in, yesterday, was unncessarily, confusing. It all worked out on time and then Aaron said he had to wait 45 minutes before the test started. He said he made friends with 3 of the boys at his table, so he was pleased.


::::::::::::::::Nim's Island::::::::

We just finished reading Nim's Island and the kids really enjoyed the story. It is a bit different from the movie, which we happened to see first. The kids really like Nim's friends who happen to be a sea lion, marine iguana and a sea turtle. They also like how self-sufficient the character is, but that she has such a loving relationship with her dad, Jack. Overall, this is a cute story.

::::::::::::::::Apheresis:::::

Michael went for his tri-weekly apheresis appointment. They took a triple product from him because they have so few donors. He came home absolutely exhausted.

::::::::::::::::Slideshow:::::

No photos of anything for the blog because I'm working on a slideshow for the Court of Honor on Wednesday night. It was presented to me on Wednesday, last week, then my computer crashed and after fixing it...a bit...I still can't access some music files and the computer error message says it doesn't know why it can't access them either. So, I'm doing a crippled effort for the slideshow, so I hope it works out any way.


:::::::::::::::::Ballet Recital:::::::::

Eve and her ballet friends were practicing their recital in the hall where they will actually perform. When I walked in to pick her up the girls had just finished dancing and Eve was crying. I saw Ms. Brooke comforting her. One of Eve's friends explained that Eve was nervous. Ms. Brooke sat down with the girls and told them that she would get nervous when she was little too and that it was okay. She also reminded all the girls that people who loved them would be the audience. Ms. Brooke is a fantastic instructor and I thought the other girls worrying about Eve was so sweet. Eve seemed to feel much better after a few minutes.

::::::::::::::::::Walking:::::::::::::

When I went walking, yesterday, I borrowed the headphones my mom got for free from Delta. You just, gently, clip them over your ears, which is better than the ear buds. Ear buds...HURT me! Michael loaded "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" on the mp3 player and I laughed the entire time to the park and back home. That show is a riot.

Smiles!

3 comments:

Carol said...

Oooh what is the Court of Honor??? It sounds prestigious.

Oh and darling Eve, tell her that nerves are a good thing. It lets her know that she wants to do a fine job. If she wasn't nervous it would be like she maybe didn't care or it was just run of the mill. I would always get nervous before I played a solo at band, so much you'd hear my knees knocking together and they thought I had a drum up there with me!!! haha, hope Eve is giggling now.

Now as for you Victoria, consider yourself tagged if you'd like to play along.

http://pins--needles.blogspot.com/2008/04/food-p0rn.html

Michael Taylor said...

In a way you could say I just felt "drained" :)

Carol,
A Court of Honor is a Boy Scout awards ceremony. Victoria puts just as much thought and effort into these slideshows for the troop as she does her scrapbooking. So I totally understand her frustration in nat having all of her resources availible.

Carol said...

Ah ha! Thanks Michael. I had no idea. All I know about Scouts is dib dib dib dob dob dob.

But knowing Victoria the small amount I know her through her blog, she will do a magnificent job with what she has at hand.