Kids Book Corner

  • Goose Girl
  • Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH
  • Peter and The Shadow Thieves
  • Peter and The Star Catchers
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper
  • Stella Brite and The Dark Matter Myster
  • The Island of The Blue Dolphins
  • The Phantom Toll Booth
  • The School Library Journal
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Tuck Everlasting

Labels

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

In Your Face!

Apparently that is the phrase you hear when playing a "friendly" game of cards with my children. Noah found my travel version of Mille Bornes when I cleaned out my desk. My parents have the 1971 version that I loved to play when I was a teenager. So, when Noah asked to play I said sure. Rachel was game too. So, I shuffled the cards like my grandfather taught me when he was trying to teach me Poker and Blackjack. (I wasn't a good student of those games because he always let me win. By the end of the Summer I would often have some serious spending money...$13.00).

I explained the rules to the kids. The trash talking from the kids began immediately. Noah and Rachel were exceptionally aggressive with handing out stop cards of different kinds. Another favorite thing for the kids was having the card the other player needed to proceed and with a coy look they would put the card in the discard pile and say, "Oh, did you need that?" I won the first game, then let the two play together now they knew the rules. I was worried that their loud calls of "IN YOUR FACE!" would coming flying around the corner and knock me down. They would alternate their hurt feelings with, "Why did you give me that card?" as if they hadn't deserved it or been playing like a mercenary the entire game.

When Michael got home Noah and I had just finished a game and roped him into play with us. Noah was his more, toned down, trash talking self. Noah couldn't believe Michael won the game. Noah had given Michael a flat tire card right after Michael had put down his green light card to be able to begin putting down mileage on his next turn. Noah's face of disbelief was a riot.

::::::::::::::::::::::Cool Email:::::::::::

I recieved a message from Shutterfly: "Your photo book, ‘2007 Summer Family Vacation’, is so special that I have decided to feature it in our Shutterfly Gallery home page, Digital Scrapbooking, and Travel U.S. categories."

http://community.shutterfly.com/gallery/home/start.sfly?

http://community.shutterfly.com/gallery/browse/start.sfly?occasion=Digital%20Scrapbooking

http://community.shutterfly.com/gallery/browse/start.sfly?occasion=Travel%20U.S.

What a neat surprise!

::::::::::::::::::::::A couple of Layouts:::::::::::




Credits:

Balance is Beautiful by dawn inskip - this weeks featured designer on evitangels blog http://evitangel.blogspot.com/

this kit is only available by this link at TTS http://digistore.treasurestoscrap.co...oducts_id=1598

Fonts: DJB Sissy by Darcy Baldwin at www.thedigichick.com

Krafty Alpha by Edeline Marta


:::::::::::::::::Boy Scouts:::::::::::

Aaron joined my stepfather's Scout Troop last night, so now he is in two troops. Michael is Scoutmaster to one and will be doing something else in the new troop, but I don't know what. He and Aaron are helping Edmund, a young man in the troop, on his Eagle Scout Project. This is the second time, I think, that Aaron has helped Edmund with the project. Hopefully, this will give Aaron several more opportunites to learn things and go to some new places. There was a Scout representative talking about the World Jamboree that is to be held in Sweden and Aaron really wants to go. I can't fathom the number of lawns that would take to earn the money.


I'm off to walk! I'm looking forward to the Astronomy Cast about Saturn's Moons! :)

5 comments:

Len said...

Fantastic layouts! They look wonderful! Thanks for sharing :)

Sue said...

Congrats on the Shutterfly recognition of your considerable talents. That is an honor. Tell Noah that Granny and Grandpa LOVE to play Mille Borne if he is interested in playing with us old folks.
Aaron is certainly busy these days. The World Jamboree would be an awesome trip. I think he might have to cut grass 24/7 for a long, long time. :-)

Michael Taylor said...

hey hun, I found a new camera for you. what do you think?
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2325098,00.asp

Chocolate Cat said...

One of my workmates sons went to the Uk to the world jamboree last year and highly recommends it as a fantastic experience. There were quite a few scholarships he could apply for and he got one which helped with the cost. My son went to the Australian jamboree a few years ago when he was a scout.

Carol said...

Bravo about the Shutterfly recognition. Totally brilliant.